Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe room/bunker need advice

If you have a small solar setup you can run the dehumidifiers off of that. Then they will always work and it gives the solar setup a constant workout.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    If you have a small solar setup you can run the dehumidifiers off of that. Then they will always work and it gives the solar setup a constant workout.
    Dehumidifiers draw a lot of power. They are the same as running an air conditioner. Big solar array needed for two of them running constantly.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Unless you have an active leak or live in New Orleans you should not have to run a unit 24/7...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Don't live in N O and don't have a leak. Just condensation.

Wonder if you built a crawl space and installed an exhaust vent and fan, if that would help.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Camo called it perfectly. You need to move air through the space as to not condenste as you are. I service grocery stores that are Air Conditioned but dead spaces like behind cases and between dead walls etc. condensate badly. You could install a ventilation system in that space and run the exhaust out a hidden pipe somewhere....
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Living in extremely high humidity in Texas, and hubs and I physically built our own house, I learned a lot about preventing condensation, especially in the outer walls and ceiling.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Like I said in the very first post ----------
    Ventilation would work but it would take a lot and mean that in reality you would heating (to some extent) this very large area
    But when you exhaust air out of a house or any building, outside air has to enter the building to replace it. If it is winter that outside air is cold and you would likely need added heat because of all that cold air entering your house.
    In the OP's case he could seal that room off and have an exhaust on one wall and an air inlet in the opposite wall which would certainly help the condensation problem but in the winter it would get mighty cold in there.
    As far as dehumidifiers -when I lived in Minnesota my basement was dry but it was so humid that I ran a dehumidifier 24/7 from about April through September. It never shut off even when during the hot summer months I had the vents open so the central air was moving the air down there and mixing it with the top side air whenever it was running. It is HUMID in Minnesota. I really like it down here. Humidity is often in the single digits.

That's why you would need an air exchange. That's what we have.
    You could regulate it with heat in the winter and cool in the summer.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 06-13-2016 at 09:24 PM.