Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe room/bunker need advice

Default Safe room/bunker need advice

My wife and I were lucky enough to build a new house about 1.5 years ago. I was able to have our builder finish the area under the front porch. This area is 40' long x 8' wide by about 11 feet high. The walls are all poured block, water proofed on the outside just like the rest of the basement. The ceiling is 4" concrete on metal core form. The room is connected to an unfinished part of the basement by a 4' opening into which I will put a commercial grade metal door. My problem is that in the winter it rains. Water condenses on the cold ceiling and drips, a lot. I am looking for ideas to stop the rain. Any ideas would be appreciated.;

Glenn

Ventilation would work but it would take a lot and mean that in reality you would heating (to some extent) this very large area.
    One possibility would be spray foam insulation on the ceiling that "might" permanently stop the condensation.

Thanks. Spray foam was my thought also. I have had two quotes on applying foam. Both were a $1,000 minimum charge with no guarantee it will work. Haven't been able to justify that yet.

Cool seal like is put on tin roofs is waterproof. Probably DIY with rollers and 5 gallon buckets.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Dehumidifier???
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Don't they sell spray foam in hardware stores any longer?

I tried a dehumidifier. It didn't seem to help, but that was the first winter. There could have been residual moisture in the concrete. The worst thing is a dehumidifier has to be emptied at least daily. If we are gone or the power is out my stuff would get wet.
    I was not aware hardware stores ever sold spray foam other than the little crack filling cans. I will check that out.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I was not aware hardware stores ever sold spray foam other than the little crack filling cans. I will check that out.

Glenn
    I think that is what Kansas Terri is talking about. At one time I heard that the spray foam installers had to be licensed because the stuff used was toxic (when wet) or something like that.

Dehumidifiers. If one is not enough get two. If two not enough get three. The electric ones you have to plug in not just the little pellet buckets.

We bought a house in Pennsylvania which literally had standing water in the basement. Took 2 dehumidifier a running full time to keep it dry.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Medic View Post
    Dehumidifiers. If one is not enough get two. If two not enough get three. The electric ones you have to plug in not just the little pellet buckets.

We bought a house in Pennsylvania which literally had standing water in the basement. Took 2 dehumidifier a running full time to keep it dry.
    Water sealant + dehumidifiers should take care of nearly anything. If not, find out how the water is getting in and fix that.