Thread: merlitons

Default merlitons

ok how many of you in here know how to grow merliton or chayote ? just a reminder.. maybe its a crop you don't have on your master list,, but they make great stuffed veggies pretty much like stuffed bell peppers and is a staple in Cajun cuisine.

do tell....? never even heard of em
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Ok,, imagine that you usually stuff young to medium zucchini split it open length wise scrape out some flesh mixing with what you normally put in a bell pepper.. lay them on baking sheet face up and you got good eats.. look up recipes for stuffed merilton.. down in the deep south you can grow two vines,, o[http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mb...&pid=3.1&rm=2]
    one the pollinator and the other female,, is what I've been told.. they are green.. be right back with a pick to post in this link. sorry couldn't get the pic but copy and paste this and should bring you to it.. let me know if it doesn't
    Last edited by silvergramma; 06-20-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Never heard the French or Cajun version of it. Chayote I have, but hadn't thought to try to grow it. If native to Louisiana I guess it must be perennial?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

all I know is my grandmothers best friend who is godmother to my kids had two vines growing on her fence in her back yard for decades.. I guess you could youtube it get more from them .. I never had a garden in Louisiana and it wont grown up here so it probably is a perennial, it has one seed,, and you leave it alone on the counter it will start to sprout..some are smooth others are kinda prickly but not much