Thread: Self driving cars are here

Default Self driving cars are here

As the title states, self driving cars are here and you can buy them now. Well, not in the purest sense, but self driving to an extent.

My wife just bought a new Honda Pilot. One of the options on it is Honda Sense. Once activated, it will steer the car by itself and will maintain speed. Even going around sharp corners. If you approach a slow moving car, it will automatically slow down, up to and including coming to a complete stop. Then once traffic moves, it does too.

I have voiced my concerns about this car to my wife, and she understands my concern but her desire for a fully loaded car exceeds any reservations.

So this technology is out there. When I drive it, I will report back and let y'all know how it is.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I have a lot of concerns about self driving and driving assisted cars.

Who gets the ticket is the self driving car crashes or causes a wreck? The owner of the car, the person behind the wheel, the car itself or the manufacturer of the car?

If the car senses a child that runs in front of it and theres not time to stop, will it crash itself and possibly injure you or hit the child? Whose fault would it be?

Hackers, Thats a huge concern for me. Its not just software hacking that bothers me. What if a person was to point a high powered green laser at the green bulb on a traffic light while the red light is lit? Would the self driving car think its safe to drive in to the intersection? Is the software setup for a situation like that? What about the same situation with a red laser on the red bulb while the green one is lit? Could one person with a hand full of dollar store laser pointers bring an intersection to a dead stop? Human drivers would realize what was going on would a self driving car?

I am not completely agains them, I drive thirty miles to work everyday on a dangerous stretch of highway. Half the drivers I see everyday are on the phone, texting, eating, reading a book, doing their make-up, using an electric razor, driving 90mph on a 75mph hwy, and driving 45 on a 75mph hwy. I think I might prefer a self driving cars to most of those drivers.

I am looking forward to your report on your wife new ride! Don't let it crash!

Lol, there are sensors for various aspects of traffic control, if one were faulty it should send a signal to the vehicle. Might place it in " limp home mode ". Lol

When self driving cars are popular, insurance companies will make it impossible to manually drive an older car. Hope the government doesn't get in bed with the manufacturers like with cellular networks. I'm sure politicians want features as well like "send everyone home", "clear the streets", "no-ride lists" or "limit your energy demand for the planet" for the sake of "safety and security". Couple good things come out like no drunk/distracted drivers, improved emergency response vehicles, and no tickets to worry about.

Reminds me of a scene from "T3: Rise of the Machines" when the TX programs the cop cars and ambulance.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

This reminds me to research how those sensors work on the cars they are advertising these days that will automatically brake when they sense an object rapidly approaching from the front and slow down.

Next time one of these comes flying up on my rear bumper, I can press a button and lock their brakes up, L-O-L

Default Limo with Chauffeur Services

I agree that most of the drivers I see everyday are on the phone, texting, eating, reading a book, driving 90mph on a 75mph hwy, and driving forty five on a 75mph hwy. i believe i would like a self driving cars to most of these drivers.Because if they do driving for other cars or public transport it will be a risky task.So for these type of drivers should recommend self driven cars.Here is a nice option for rent a car which facilitate us with Limousine services and Chauffeur Service Dubai.