Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepping Success (and Failure)

Default Prepping Success (and Failure)

What's worked for you?

What hasn't? And why?

Four years ago I repackaged roasted peanuts in vacuum sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Last night I opened a bag. The peanuts were indistinguishable from fresh. The bag was still hard-vacuum sealed when I cut through the seal. As far as I am concerned this was a big WIN.

I have tried similar efforts with saltine crackers. For some reason, I just cannot get them to store past six months. Somehow they go "bad" with a foul, chemical sort of taste. I've tried it more than once, so I know it wasn't just one batch that didn't turn out. Anyway, I've since had to renounce gluten (lived in denial for years, finally had to face reality) so it's not an issue for me personally anymore. Never did figure out why, but probably not a lot can be done about it.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I've stored packaged Ramen Noodles for about 4 years and it seems to still be intact and taste the same. I'm glad to hear about those peanuts! Very innovative.

I've been doing 5gal bucket storage for the last 2 years or so.

For short term couple of months it works good but fitting them in certain places and trying to maximize square objects in a round bucket doesn't always work out.

Use the gamma seal lids but not sure if they are really worth the extra cost. One thing I've noticed from going out west to back here in the east is humidity can build up within the bucket. Food is in individual bags and hasn't been a huge issue yet, but not what I was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    I've been doing 5gal bucket storage for the last 2 years or so.

For short term couple of months it works good but fitting them in certain places and trying to maximize square objects in a round bucket doesn't always work out.

Use the gamma seal lids but not sure if they are really worth the extra cost. One thing I've noticed from going out west to back here in the east is humidity can build up within the bucket. Food is in individual bags and hasn't been a huge issue yet, but not what I was expecting.
    That is good to know since I too am on the bucket plan. They do work great for storing sleeping bags and other things that you don't want to get wet when camping.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

LOVE the Gamma seal lids!!!! I seal items in mylar or vacuum bags then put them in buckets with Gamma lids, it makes buckets so much easier to open.
    My only bad experience to date that I have found is the "trail mix incident of 2012"

I took peanuts, m&m's, coconut flakes, and dried Mango and sealed in vacuum bags. recently had to throw out about $80 worth of stuff.... The Mango appeared to have molded inside, guess it was not dry enough?

Also, powered/canned eggs taste like crap.... can be used to substitute in cooking I guess.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

My Wife likes to can stuff and She joined the Community Garden this Year and plans on having a rather large one.
    We will also have a small one at Home for Hot Peppers as They wont let Her grow Them there.

All my pails are 'Superpails' from BePreppared/Emergency Essentials. Never had any issues. But I did have some rice in it's original sacks, which was fine unit a rat got into my garage. I know it was a rat because I found it still in there (freaking gross) in it's final it's final convulsions of life. Apparently my neighbors were having problems with them and was putting poison out. I'm always the last to know!!

My garage is climate controlled and semi-finished, so it's not like it's a mechanics show or an out building.

Still on my shopping list is a vacuum sealer and a freeze drying machine. Still waiting for Camo's review of hers .

Joe - NY

Another one: Emergency food "bars".

A few years back I found a sale and bought several packages of both Datrex and Mainstay emergency food bars. These are kind of like shortbread cookies in bar form. They supposedly contain enough calories and nutrition to keep you going a while, although they are certainly not what anyone would call "balanced" meals. They all came in vacuum-sealed Mylar packaging, right from the factory.

Over time, I have had several of the Datrex bars lose that hard, vaccum tightness to the packaging. Not sure if this is a slow leak in the packaging or if the bars themselves are off-gassing. I tasted some of the bars from that packaging and did not detect any change in flavor or smell. But the Mainstay bars have kept a hard vacuum seal all these years.

I did buy a 20 pound bag of rice years ago (cloth sack from the store) and was slow in getting it packaged up for storage - OK, maybe I was a few months slow... We live in a reasonbly dry climate most of the year but even so, the rice absorbed atmospheric moisture and developed mold - the whole bag had to be thrown out. Sad, but not terribly expensive, and certainly a lesson learned. All of the white rice I put up in ordinary gallon ziploc bags in 2009 and stored in plastic tubs in the kitchen is still in pristine condition.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    LOVE the Gamma seal lids!!!! I seal items in mylar or vacuum bags then put them in buckets with Gamma lids, it makes buckets so much easier to open.
    My only bad experience to date that I have found is the "trail mix incident of 2012"

I took peanuts, m&m's, coconut flakes, and dried Mango and sealed in vacuum bags. recently had to throw out about $80 worth of stuff.... The Mango appeared to have molded inside, guess it was not dry enough?

Also, powered/canned eggs taste like crap.... can be used to substitute in cooking I guess.
    Dried fruit n freeze dried fruit don't store nowhere near the same. Dried fruit still have a percentage of moisture in it and will get more rubbery in humid places.

Here's another - Dog Food

In 2012 we got in on a super sale deal for the dry dog food kibble we normally feed. I used mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, and used the vacuum sealer. It's 2016 and since the wife is out of town and I ran out of the current bag, I opened up one of the storage bags. It was still sealed. The kibble smelled a tad stale but the dogs have been eating it all week and are still alive. I'm sure it's not as nutritionally intact as it was 4 years ago but it does not seem to be nasty either. So this one counts as a qualified success - four years seems do-able... not sure what it will be like in another 2 years but we have enough bags to test at 2 year intervals for another cycle or two, if we end up not needing it before then.