Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepping Success (and Failure)

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Another one: Emergency food "bars".

A few years back I found a sale and bought several packages of both Datrex and Mainstay emergency food bars. These are kind of like shortbread cookies in bar form. They supposedly contain enough calories and nutrition to keep you going a while, although they are certainly not what anyone would call "balanced" meals. They all came in vacuum-sealed Mylar packaging, right from the factory.

Over time, I have had several of the Datrex bars lose that hard, vaccum tightness to the packaging. Not sure if this is a slow leak in the packaging or if the bars themselves are off-gassing. I tasted some of the bars from that packaging and did not detect any change in flavor or smell. But the Mainstay bars have kept a hard vacuum seal all these years.

I did buy a 20 pound bag of rice years ago (cloth sack from the store) and was slow in getting it packaged up for storage - OK, maybe I was a few months slow... We live in a reasonbly dry climate most of the year but even so, the rice absorbed atmospheric moisture and developed mold - the whole bag had to be thrown out. Sad, but not terribly expensive, and certainly a lesson learned. All of the white rice I put up in ordinary gallon ziploc bags in 2009 and stored in plastic tubs in the kitchen is still in pristine condition.
    I've found the square shape of the bars combined with the vacuum causes corners and creases which will eventually leak. I go through once a year and toss any bars that have lost vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
    I've found the square shape of the bars combined with the vacuum causes corners and creases which will eventually leak. I go through once a year and toss any bars that have lost vacuum.
    Funny story about those datrex/mainstay bars.

When I travel by air I put my whole BOB in a locked hard-sided case with my travel firearms. Three times they paged me (on different trips) to inspect the contents of the bag. It really bugged me because I was strictly following all the rules. They refused to tell me why, but I was finally able to observe an inspection. They went DIRECTLY for the mylar sealed food bars. Apparently they match the x-ray, theta-wave or ultrasound profile for something akin to C4 and they didn't recognize the shape/packaging from the imaging scan. I now no longer take those food bars with me when traveling by air.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Happened to me earlier this year.
    I had about 6 CLIF protein bars in my carry-on and had them sealed in a foodsaver bag. looked like a brick of C4 on the Xray....
    Made me take them out of the bag....
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Hi! Check out this article. I'm pretty sure it will helps you a lot

PREPPING FOR SUCCESS WITH BETH HARRISON

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Four years ago I repackaged roasted peanuts in vacuum sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Last night I opened a bag. The peanuts were indistinguishable from fresh. The bag was still hard-vacuum sealed when I cut through the seal. As far as I am concerned this was a big WIN.
    I went to a preparedness expo where a lady was demo-ing how to prep all kinds of nuts in canning jars by heating them in the oven for a certain amount of time. It was for long term storage of nuts. Wish I had written it down, but I figure I might find the instructions online

I stocked up on shampoo, conditioner and body wash from the dollar store. Then we moved and I figured, why not squeeze them into a gallon milk jug for easy transport. WRONG!!! The milk gallon plastic broke eventually and I had shampoo all over my closet I've since learned, keep it in the container that was made for it and use within three years. Also, toiletries last longer if you don't expose to water, as they are hygroscopic.

I've been saving hotel shampoo for years now, as well as mini soap and the other stuff. Some is stale but still lathers.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 01-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I stocked up on shampoo, conditioner and body wash from the dollar store. Then we moved and I figured, why not squeeze them into a gallon milk jug for easy transport. WRONG!!! The milk gallon plastic broke eventually and I had shampoo all over my closet I've since learned, keep it in the container that was made for it and use within three years. Also, toiletries last longer if you don't expose to water, as they are hygroscopic.
    Renee - I've seen a lot of preppers do something similar. I had a friend a few years ago who saved plastic milk jugs for water storage. What he didn't realize is that those jugs are designed/engineered to break down over time - it's not a bug, it's a feature - they are designed to bio-degrade and break down with exposure to light and the atmosphere. Its an anti-pollution thing, after all, no one keeps milk more than a few weeks, right? Everyone that I know who's tried storing anything in milk jugs long term has met with the same results. Between six months and 3 years, they will start leaking and the longer it goes the worse the leaks get. It's inevitable.

Containers with thicker walls like 2 liter soda bottles, cooking oil, or detergent bottles do seem to last though. People typically hold onto those more than a couple of weeks, and they are designed accordingly.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Eventually I'm going to go down to my local Sally Beauty supply and get the bulk concentrated shampoo. Probably the best bang for your buck without going "No Poo" with ACV and Baking Soda :P

I have a salt water aquarium and was unable to make it to the fish store (over an hour away h) so I turned to buying distilled water by the gallon from my local grocery and accumulated 4 or 5 dozen jugs. I kept them because they make excellent miniature green houses to start my seeds for spring planting. Cut around 3/4 of the way about 3" from the bottom, fill with compost add seed flip the top back down and secure with tape. They also make great dust boxes for my quail. About 3 inches from the bottom cut a 3" diameter hole add about an inch of diatomascious earth, secure it so they don't knock it over and become trapped, they love it!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.