Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prepping Success (and Failure)

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    Eventually I'm going to go down to my local Sally Beauty supply and get the bulk concentrated shampoo. Probably the best bang for your buck without going "No Poo" with ACV and Baking Soda :P
    I wonder if shampoo can be freeze dried. I don't see why not. If I ever buy the Harvestright freeze-drier I plan on trying.

Joe - NY

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    I wonder if shampoo can be freeze dried. I don't see why not. If I ever buy the Harvestright freeze-drier I plan on trying.

Joe - NY
    What would be the benefit? An interesting experiment though.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    What would be the benefit? An interesting experiment though.
    It would last essentially indefinitely. Eliminate the water content turning it into a power and then store in a vacuum packed container.

Joe - NY

Get cammi to try it, lol. I have a feeling that the glycol would prevent it from becoming a powder, I'm no chemist so.......
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I stocked up on shampoo, conditioner and body wash from the dollar store. Then we moved and I figured, why not squeeze them into a gallon milk jug for easy transport. WRONG!!! The milk gallon plastic broke eventually and I had shampoo all over my closet I've since learned, keep it in the container that was made for it and use within three years. Also, toiletries last longer if you don't expose to water, as they are hygroscopic.
    When re-using plastic containers, look on the bottom for the little triangle mark. Don't re-use anything that doesn't have at least a number 3 inside the triangle and higher numbers are better. Has something to do with the porosity or, as another poster wrote, the "breakdown feature".
    Remember; what looks back at you in the mirror, better damn well be what's looking in the mirror.

I've used saltine crackers in my buckets for humidity control.. works fine,, still use them in my ziplocs with beans in em and yes gamma lids are worth it,, here In North Dakota I stacked some filled buckets out back in a hidden garden,, the lids that needed a wrench to open froze and cracked when we tried to pry them open, stick with gammas..
    Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    I've been doing 5gal bucket storage for the last 2 years or so.

For short term couple of months it works good but fitting them in certain places and trying to maximize square objects in a round bucket doesn't always work out.

Use the gamma seal lids but not sure if they are really worth the extra cost. One thing I've noticed from going out west to back here in the east is humidity can build up within the bucket. Food is in individual bags and hasn't been a huge issue yet, but not what I was expecting.

Gramma, how many times the fire went out there at the rock?

Working out some transpo issues. Thinking of bringing folks some strange fire. Have to be careful so it doesn't get out of hand!

The heads pinned in the sand, we need the heart of the snake to free the grid.

I didn't get the decoder ring
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge