Thread: Photography?

Default Photography?

Anyone out there who still develops film? I've got a 120 medium format that's completely mechanical and takes a hell of a better photo than any iphone. It's definitely not needed for survival during SHTF, but it's a good documentary medium to teach your generations. Remember living in the great depression? No? But you've seen those old photos of soup kitchen lines to know how bad it was.. to never let the banks run your lives again. We are used to having so many tools packed into one device. EMP can take all those at a moments notice. Not with film.

I too still use film cameras.. Hassleblad 500C, Rolli 120, a WWII GI issue Speedgraphic 4x5 that I had rebuilt. Right now it's a hobby...I can develop and print my own film, too.

Finding film post SHTF will be quite difficult, though. OTOH I can protect a digital camera and computer fairly easily.
    Good medicine in bad places

I too have a bunch of 2 1/4 square format negatives and camera stored away. I have developed and printed quite a few photos starting in the army where the photo lab was in the building that housed the medical lab at Dachau.

I wonder if the chemicals to develop and print film and paper might be useful since even if a person has a working digital camera and printer how long does printer ink last as opposed to dry chemicals one can mix as necessary to develop and print?

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
    I wonder if the chemicals to develop and print film and paper might be useful since even if a person has a working digital camera and printer how long does printer ink last as opposed to dry chemicals one can mix as necessary to develop and print?
    I would just shoot negatives then after shtf, get prints. You can use another negative strip and expose with the other negative to get a positive. As far as digital printing, I wouldn't expect ink for long term storage, it separates or dries out if it's not sealed. Would use toner instead.

On the other hand, there are dry chemicals for paper/film processing that can be stored pretty much forever.