Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2m Mobile Transceiver (low W)

Default 2m Mobile Transceiver (low W)

Having a hard time finding what I am looking for.
    All the 2m mobiles out there now seem to have all of the controls in the mic.

Want to mount a 2m mobile on my motorcycle.
    Wattage out (dual?) 5(10)/60(70). Dual is not really required, 5 or 10 out is fine for me.
    remote PTT (mount on handlebar) or VOX.
    remote earplugs (inside helmet)
    remote mic (inside helmet)

rubber duck mounted to rear tail rack.
    ----
    failing that above, a walkie talkie would work.
    Belt to strap on.
    still need remote PTT or VOX, actually VOX would be required.
    rubber duck antenna, guess it could stay on the unit.... Guess it would stay on the unit. Don't think there would be a quick disconnect for it, (pull apart if dropped bike).

I have looked and will look some more, just hoping someone already has a setup that like in regards to this.

Just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeb1PjllFAQ#t=357
    Really don't care for the Bluetooth link.
    Radio is a Baofeng UV-5R
    Last edited by Nicor; 03-27-2016 at 09:56 AM.

I like this idea, but am curious, is there BlueTooth technology in helmet speakers, yet?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

the radio speaker/mic hard wired into a sena Bluetooth hub SR-10, which then via Bluetooth, is connected to Sena Bluetooth SMH-10.
    The SMH-10 is a Bluetooth intercom system that allows multi connections to other SMH-10 worn by other riders.
    Actually other intercom systems also that use Bluetooth.

SR-10 HUB

SMH-10

After thinking about it. I have always wanted a SMH-10, but none of the other riders that I have ridden with use one.
    Sena Bluetooth is the way to go. Then if other riders with have an intercom system (even not Sena) they can paired with the Sena.
    Last edited by Nicor; 03-27-2016 at 12:52 PM.

You can use a Yaesu handheld with Bluetooth....I think the VX-8 has BT...
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    You can use a Yaesu handheld with Bluetooth....I think the VX-8 has BT...

I had to stop when I saw the price.
    Nice radio....

FTM-10R Yaesu. It is a dual bander specifically for outdoor motorsports. Has built in intercom.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    FTM-10R Yaesu. It is a dual bander specifically for outdoor motorsports. Has built in intercom.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
    Appears to have been discontinued.
    Not listed on ebay either.

you can get a earphone/mic/pushbutton cable for the baofengs and butcher them up to do what you want, but I don't know of a mic cord that does that off the top of my head.

That's the route I'd go with the above needs at least.

wow.. so I went to look for an example of something to modify and found this http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Hea...dp/B015XIRUM4/

That might work out of the box for you.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    you can get a earphone/mic/pushbutton cable for the baofengs and butcher them up to do what you want, but I don't know of a mic cord that does that off the top of my head.
    That's the route I'd go with the above needs at least.
    wow.. so I went to look for an example of something to modify and found this http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Hea...dp/B015XIRUM4/

That might work out of the box for you.
    That it might... Thank you..
    Reading about the Baofeng Wouxun it was org for, the wouxun seems to have a bad rep.
    if not for that I would look into using it.

Not much available at this time that's small , has Bluetooth(a couple yaesu do but have to use their mikes etc), and isn't expensive .
    VOX - on 2m radios I have seen that were VOX capable the sensitivity of the VOX wouldn't work well inside a car much less inside a helmet system. (tried them for use with my Polaris RZR for simplex) Just too much noise keeping the radio keyed. In my opinion trying to use the baofengs or other non expensive HT setup just isn't gonna work either. You said 5-10 watts, so unless you are planning just very short range comms on simplex ,you Will be using repeaters, and repeaters owners and users usually get upset if someone trying to use VOX wipes out their work commute QSO's with the guys by keeping the repeater locked open.
    There is a company called Rugged Radio, that handles this kind of gear for offroad racing etc, maybe those folks would have a solution for you ,an adapter maybe that would work with a ham radio. www.ruggedradios.com
    Just my opinion from what I have seen happen in my area, and what I have tried with my equipment.