Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2m Mobile Transceiver (low W)

The UV5R isn't waterproof at all

But Baofeng makes a waterproof radio for $45 http://www.radioddity.com/us/2016-ba...o-2800mah.html

However none of the Baofengs I have seen will listen or transmit on CB frequencies.

If you want a small HT for listening in on CB you can buy a Yaesu HAM type radio like the VX3R http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3003.html but even it will not transmit on CB, you could go with an FT-817ND, it will receive and transmit on HF/VHF/UHF but they are $600
    NUTS!!!!

Was reading the other night, thought they said the uv5/bf9 would listen to am/fm/sw/cb was wondering if it was just listen and not transmit on cb

Looked at a couple water resistant yaesu but price is bit high for right now. It was a tri band but don't remember the model at the moment.

Tdale what's your recommendation for $300 or under radio that can actually survive in the field under inclement conditions?

Side note, on the uv radios several say the stock antenna is lacking. Will a military whip style antenna work on these or is adapters required. Or is there an alternate that is adaptable to your kit?
    Last edited by Alredneck; 07-27-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Was reading the other night, thought they said the uv5/bf9 would listen to am/fm/sw/cb was wondering if it was just listen and not transmit on cb

Looked at a couple water resistant yaesu but price is bit high for right now. It was a tri band but don't remember the model at the moment.

Tdale what's your recommendation for $300 or under radio that can actually survive in the field under inclement conditions?

Side note, on the uv radios several say the stock antenna is lacking. Will a military whip style antenna work on these or is adapters required. Or is there an alternate that is adaptable to your kit?
    I have a few of the UV5Rs, they will NOT pick up AM, CB, OR SW

The BF9 is just a UV5R with a more powerful transmitter, it's 8 watts vs. 4 watts.

The Frequency Range of a UV5R is 65-108 MHz (Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx) all the other dual band Baofengs and similar chinese import radios are similar in frequency range

You're correct, the stock baofeng antennas are crap, I always replace my stock HT antennas with a Diamond SRH77CA/SRJ77CA http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ntht/2368.html you need the Reverse SMA antenna for the UV5R. It's not going to perform like a vehicle mounted antenna, but it's way better than the stock antenna

As far as a recommendation it depends on what your must have requirements are.

If you want a radio that can transmit on 2M/70CM and have the ability to listen to FM and CB the options are quite a few. A lot of the Yaesu radios have wideband receive

Do you need IP67 waterproofing?

Do you need any of the digital modes?

Do you need APRS?

Do you need encryption?

If you want to transmit on VHF/UHF/HF there are only a few options and they are all expensive, all over $300 AFAIK
    Last edited by Tdale; 07-28-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    NUTS!!!!

One of the things I do in my daily BOB...with the Beofeng BF F8HP or 8 watt version of their radios is put them in two plastic bags...then put them into my BOB. The radio and antenna are disassembled. It does not take long to assemble the rig. This in particular because I often take my scooter to and fro work and am subject to getting rained upon. What I also have inside my BOB is a rain poncho. A must if one is going to take two wheels to and fro. This particular Poncho is made by Equinox and has extra material in the back which accommodates or provides extra coverage for having on ones back ...a backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/Equinox-Nylon...onchos+equinox

So my Beofeng radio is disassembled at the antenna... in a double plastic bag with the antenna in the bag... in my Bob along with the extra charged up spare battery and also under a poncho when it rains. The spare battery too is in a double plastic bag.

The Crane operators at work are using commercial Kenwood Walkie talkies on commercially assigned frequencies. What they do when it rains is put the whole HT into a plastic bag and transmit through the bag. Mind you now most of their transmissions are very local to assigned commercial repeater and then back to the other walkie talkie...but it works out well in the rain. The whole rig is in a plastic bag...antenna included. These are expensive commercial Kenwood HT's with rechargeable batteries.

That is how I solve my rain/wet HT issues....

My GRundig Buzz Aldrin G5 short wave set too is in a plastic bag...for moisture/rain control..so too my MP3 player and ear buds...and charger. All of this too is in my daily BOB.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 07-31-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Bags rip n tear. The motorolas n icoms we had worked no matter what. Looking for something that can survive the rain. River crossing, well ya have to prep for that so can understand putting them in my pack. But there's lots of water around me so looking for something that can survive the elements.

Bags rip n tear. The motorolas n icoms we had worked no matter what. Looking for something that can survive the rain. River crossing, well ya have to prep for that so can understand putting them in my pack. But there's lots of water around me so looking for something that can survive the elements.
    Bags do indeed rip and tear..but these are not your K mart/Wal Mart sandwich bags..these are thick mil commercial/industrial bags. A bag in which you put nuclear materials is not going to be a thin mil bag.

I've also seen very thick mil...aluminum foil...very thick..not your K mart /Wal Mart stuff.

But this is your call...your radio....

I just know how I do it.

You check and inspect your bags and replace as necessary. Even carry spares..I have several spare thick mil plastic bags stored in my BOB.

Agree..in an area with a lot of water...waterproofing is a prime concern and factor. I am on a peninsula...surrounded by salt water on three sides. Lots of water here too in addition to the rains...very humid around here.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 07-31-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Have ya ever been in the desert where you have bags with in bags with the openings at different ends and still the dust gets in?
    It either needs a proper storage container or it needs to be sealed from the factory. They don't make mil spec for fun. And having certain security your comms work when the world's is at its worst is a really good feeling. There's nothing like have your world erupt around you and have nobody to talk to about it. Much less call for fire support!

And yeah sometimes it's fun to listen when they don't think your listening!

Have ya ever been in the desert where you have bags with in bags with the openings at different ends and still the dust gets in?
    It either needs a proper storage container or it needs to be sealed from the factory. They don't make mil spec for fun. And having certain security your comms work when the world's is at its worst is a really good feeling. There's nothing like have your world erupt around you and have nobody to talk to about it. Much less call for fire support!

And yeah sometimes it's fun to listen when they don't think your listening!
    Al

All these are under $200, so they all meet your requirement for under $300

Take a look at the FT60, it's very rugged http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yaesu-FT-60R...wAAOSwpDdVgE-q

If you need a radio with an I.P. rating the VX6R is waterproof and has wideband receive, $200 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yaesu-VX-6R-...oAAOSwZ1BXeauI

VX-7R also very rugged and waterproof and also has widband receive can be found on ebay under $200 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yaesu-VX-7R-...EAAOSwbsBXmWUr

The VX8GR is waterproof has wideband receive and gives you GPS/APRS if you need that for SAR http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yaesu-VX-8GR...UAAOSwSv1XlkM7

The Icom Ic-92ad is waterproof and gives you D-Star if you want digital, It's also under $300 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-condit...-/131894065396

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and don't need wideband receive pick up a waterproof Baofend for under $50 https://www.google.com/search?q=GT-3...02760656951811

If you want waterproof with encryption get the MD-390 http://www.radioddity.com/us/tyt-md-...e-speaker.html
    NUTS!!!!

Al Redneck,

My Radiation detector is close to the size of a pack of long cigarettes. What I do is place it inside two 4x6 inch heavy thick plastic bags...one bag up..the other bag down. Then the whole thing is put in a Plano plastic fishing lure box from Wally World. These boxes have an o- ring seal on them.

I did the same thing with my Kindle when I carried it but in a larger Plano plastic fishing lure box.

As to dust...yes...I am familiar with the properties of Dust having worked in and around dry docks when the ships are being sand blasted.

Again inside a plastic bag..heavy duty does the trick. The bag is tape sealed. You change the bag as often as necessary. It does not take long.

I personally like the Beofeng series of radios. They are a good value for the monies. There are lots of other radios out there..but few offer the value for the monies of the Beofengs. I also have three Icom T7H walkie talkies. I seldom use them anymore and they are in storage up in my radio room.

The Beofengs have a much wider transmit range as well as receive.

But the conditions you are describing are indeed...very demanding.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

One statement I will make on waterproof, is that the couple of items I had that claimed they were also stated that pushing any button while submerged would allow water to enter the inside.
    Don't know if this applies to those radios or not. One I did have had a membrane between the plastic cover and the electric pickups for the key clicks.