Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firewood?

Default Firewood?

Just wondering who else is burning and how much? Are house is approximately 1100 square feet, single story. We are useing about 7-8 cord per season ( October - April ). All hardwood, mostly oak, cherry, maple and some hickory. We try to stay a season ahead,
    so I've always got aleast 14 cord ready to go.But recent storms brought down a bunch of trees. All cleaned up an stacked so I've actually got firewood for the next 3 seasons ready or drying. Again just wondering how much you all burn and keep as a stockpile?
    "WHEN IN DOUBT...... EMPTY THE MAG"
    JayBird

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

We heat solely with wood, white oak mostly with some aspen and pine for easier lighting. About 2200 sq ft, two-story with the wood burner on the lower level. Burn 3-4 cords per year. Only one years worth in reserve usually. The Mrs and I cut and split our own (hydraulic splitter), mostly taken from public land, we'll go out once or twice a week in the spring/summer months and haul out a truckload at a time. Finding good dead standing oak near a road or trail is sometimes difficult, lots of people burn wood around here. In a pinch we could burn pine/aspen, there's no shortage of that and there's years worth just on our property (it's campfire wood for us), but we'd use about 2-3 times as much probably.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

I use about 7 cords a year and try to stay at least a year ahead. Luckily it was a pretty mild winter so we didn't burn nearly as much this season. I cut mostly oak/maple/cherry/birch off our property. I'll mix any softwood I cut in but I usually use it for my fire pit outside. Harvest with my kubota and split all by hand.

I have a POS Heatilator insert type FP in this house. Hate it. Doesn't draw well, so have to close the doors which cuts down on capability. I'm looking for a mason that can tell me if I can afford to tear it down and build a real fp. Still, I go through about 2 cords every winter, mostly Live and Post Oak, and some Mesquite. I usually purchase a cord in spring to season all year stacked at the house, and supplement with Mesquite from the ranch for both heat and grilling.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

I have a WonderWood wood stove in the house, and a cast iron box heater in the shop.
    Usually I'll burn 12 ricks/6 cords during the winter. This year I have not burned as much since it was mild.
    House is 900 sq. ft. or so, shop is 300 sq. ft.

I burn Hickory, Oak, BlackJack, Ash, Hackberry, and Boxelder.

Two fellas save paper cake (cattle cube) sacks for me to get my kindling going, so I have several hundred sacks for that.

I've never bought firewood, always cut my own.
    Have a 3 pt. hydraulic splitter on my Super C Farmall to split wood.
    But I split lots by hand too.
    2 Stihl MS290 saws.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

I heat the main floor of my house with a wood burning stove, I use about 2 cords of wood per winter, mostly using Oak and Maple that hasn't been seasoned (just haven't had the chance to get that much stockpiled ahead of time).
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

I guess I better back up and state that I cut my wood 14 to 16 inches long, which would not make a full rick or full cord.
    Cord of wood would be 4x4x8. Or a rick would be 4x8 cut 24'' long.
    So really, I'm burning less than what I stated, due to length.
    I cut mine that short because it's much easier for me to handle, easier to split.

Mild winter, only burned 2 cords. First year here so had to buy it in to supplement my clearing of dead trees off the property. Dropped a bunch for next year and will be buying the 3-cord permit to cut in the National Forest around us. Seriously need to move the wood stove to an outbuilding and hook it into the ductwork, doublewide modulars are not known for good air patterns so we end up with it 100 degrees in the living room where the stove is and try and move the heat to the back bedroom with a couple of fans.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I guess I better back up and state that I cut my wood 14 to 16 inches long, which would not make a full rick or full cord.
    Cord of wood would be 4x4x8. Or a rick would be 4x8 cut 24'' long.
    So really, I'm burning less than what I stated, due to length.
    I cut mine that short because it's much easier for me to handle, easier to split.
    Haven't heard the term 'rick' since I lived in southern Indiana in the early 90's. Rented a house there with a fireplace, lots of ads in the paper for wood sold by the rick. Never heard the term before. 4 bushels in a peck, 4 quarts in a gallon, no idea how many ricks in a cord. Tried looking it up in the weights and measures section of a dictionary, nothing. Looked up just the definition of 'rick', and laughed. Wife asks, "what's so funny, how much wood is it?".

"About half a ****load near as I can figure".

I cut mine the same length. Our stove will hold 18" logs but 14-16" are a better fit.
    Last edited by marked; 03-22-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

I seldom hear anyone using the term cord in s.e. Okla.
    Most of the time, it's a rick of wood, which is a 4x8. Most here cut it 18 to 20'', which is not a true rick.
    If someone calls up wanting wood, they say, I want 4 ricks, not 2 cords.