Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Firewood?

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by rhrobert View Post
    There is no standard measurement for a rick, ...
    I thought we settled this whole firewood unit of measure stuff? To summarize: a rick is a heaping truckload. Two ricks equals a sh!tload, and there's 4 sh!tloads in a f*ckton.

I get a USFS cutting permit every year, they measure in Ccf (100 cubic feet - or something like 2 face cords by my math). A permit for 4 Ccfs is $20. Just got our new permit a few weeks back and been out a couple times this year already getting the easy-pickings from the sides of the trails, mostly green oak that came down in last winter's storms. That'll be winter 2017-2018 wood once I get it split.

Will second what Winni said about tarps too, tried to get a third year out of one of my big tarps and had the 'challenge' he described, leaking tarp and frozen logs. Getting quotes for a new pole barn now that will include a lean-to/awning (3 sides and a roof) on one side of the barn for firewood storage. That should make things easier this coming winter, but now I have to 'rotate' this year's firewood about 200' to it's new location so I'll be picking up each log about 8 times instead of the normal 6 this year lol

What do you guys do for kindling storage? We stock a couple 2' square cardboard boxes full in the garage in the autumn, and intermix small sticks (1-2") into the outdoor wood piles between the logs so we don't run out mid-winter.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    I thought we settled this whole firewood unit of measure stuff? To summarize: a rick is a heaping truckload. Two ricks equals a sh!tload, and there's 4 sh!tloads in a f*ckton.

I get a USFS cutting permit every year, they measure in Ccf (100 cubic feet - or something like 2 face cords by my math). A permit for 4 Ccfs is $20. Just got our new permit a few weeks back and been out a couple times this year already getting the easy-pickings from the sides of the trails, mostly green oak that came down in last winter's storms. That'll be winter 2017-2018 wood once I get it split.

Will second what Winni said about tarps too, tried to get a third year out of one of my big tarps and had the 'challenge' he described, leaking tarp and frozen logs. Getting quotes for a new pole barn now that will include a lean-to/awning (3 sides and a roof) on one side of the barn for firewood storage. That should make things easier this coming winter, but now I have to 'rotate' this year's firewood about 200' to it's new location so I'll be picking up each log about 8 times instead of the normal 6 this year lol

What do you guys do for kindling storage? We stock a couple 2' square cardboard boxes full in the garage in the autumn, and intermix small sticks (1-2") into the outdoor wood piles between the logs so we don't run out mid-winter.
    lol, funny

Tarps never work for me either, I'll be building a lean-to as well. I have kindling stored under the house.

Looking for big azz tarps? Check places like craigslist for old billboard signs. Basically big heavy tarps. Bought a few in MS and still have em. They do Crack over time but way cheap for a big azz tarp.

I bought a couple from the military depot in town. Damn things are thick and really heavy but they sure do last. 25x40'. tan with grommets, $60.00 ea.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Al hit it again, I work for a company that makes billboards, and I get rolls of unprinted vinyl (damaged on the ends), that is my tarp, lasts almost forever. The rolls are heavy as a son of a gun to move.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

That time of the year again, heating season about over and time to start refilling the wood pile.

Was out walking the dogs and not 1/2 mile from my home (on Nat. Forest land) the Forestry Service had come through cutting live oak right next to the 2-track trail just in the past two days. Heard chainsaws, figured it was a neighbor and didn't think much of it. Didn't keep walking to see where they stopped cutting, but there's 5 good size (14-16" around) oaks and a bunch of smaller ones down and lying right beside the trail. Jackpot! If I can snag it all before anyone else does guessing it'll be over half of the wood we normally use all winter, but will need to let it season for a year being green. Already scoped out a few oaks close by that came down over the winter, so might be able to get all the wood I need without traveling more than 1/2 mile from home this year.

Headed out tomorrow after work to grab a rick, and hopefully 2 each on Sat / Sun before anyone else grabs it. In a good news/bad news thing, had planned to work on my trailer this weekend as the weather is supposed to be nice but that's secondary now.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Wow! Nice score! Get up early in the morning and get to work Mr.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.