Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firewood?

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Face cords or full cords here (Northern Mi). Face cord being 4X8 by 16", or 1/3 a cord. Thanks for putting a real amount on a rick, I learned after the first order it was roughly the amount that would fit in a full sized truck bed, slightly heaping.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Right on the heaping standard pickup bed.

I don't know why they call them rick's here...always have that I know of.
    I know they did as far back as the mid 70's, I sold wood by the rick then.

When I was selling wood, I would throw on extra because each stack would not be the same, and because of length.
    And I've seen some stack wood and make 'cat-holes' (places for cats to climb in the wood/big as a cat) and screw people out of firewood. And people didn't notice until I brought them wood, and could not figure out why I brought them so much more, till they found out why, which brought me more customers.
    And rarely sold any that was 24'' long, too many older folks that cannot handle it, so I cut it down to 18'', which really is not a true rick. But they knew that up front, and like I said, threw on extra to make up the difference in the length.

I hear in the big cities, they sell a 'mini-rick'.
    I understand it's no more than a dolly, with a rack on bottom 3 logs wide, stacked up 4 feet, in a rectangle, strapped down, and toted up to apartments. Looked on Craigslist before, and they were getting 40 to 50.00 for a mini rick, which is nothing but 1/4 of a rick or less.
    Reckon it's for those that want a fire for holidays and such...that little of wood last me maybe 1 1/2 days tops.

What's a joke is these convenient stores selling 5 or 6 logs in a bundle for 5 to 7.00.
    About 1.00 per log.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Haven't heard the term 'rick' since I lived in southern Indiana in the early 90's. Rented a house there with a fireplace, lots of ads in the paper for wood sold by the rick. Never heard the term before. 4 bushels in a peck, 4 quarts in a gallon, no idea how many ricks in a cord. Tried looking it up in the weights and measures section of a dictionary, nothing. Looked up just the definition of 'rick', and laughed. Wife asks, "what's so funny, how much wood is it?".

"About half a ****load near as I can figure".

I cut mine the same length. Our stove will hold 18" logs but 14-16" are a better fit.
    Here's a video of a "Rick"

http://youtu.be/DLzxrzFCyOs
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

lol

I have a Fischer Cast iron stove that I am using as a fireplace insert. I have two of those eco-fans on top of the stove that use the heat from the stove to generate electricity for the fan.

In a 1500 sf house, I burn about 1.5 chords of wood, made up of 2/3 soft wood, and 1/3 hard wood. This is Pacific Northwest weather winters. I run the stove from around late September to about mid April. There are days where I don't run the stove at all, In the cold months, I let the fire go out just before bed time.

This is part of the reason I chose to live in the Pacific Northwest and West of the Cascades. Temperate climate that doesn't get too hot or too cold. There are a few trade offs: Liberals are everywhere and they love to stick their noses into everyone's business.
    Last edited by GR82BPREPD; 03-23-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    "...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." R. Reagan

I feel like a picker here in Georgia. I have 8 or 9 cords ready to go but this winter I only burned "junk" wood, including building material scrap. I was trying to clean out my wood shed, didn't make it. I still have junk left over. It has been a VERY mild winter (tough on the peach crop).

During a "cold" winter, I might burn a cord.

By the way, I am heating a 2500 square foot house. I have a 55 gallon barel stove in the basement and it heats the whole thing.

I'm sure you know this owl, but some may not..don't burn treated wood in an indoor wood stove.

I knew a guy that did that, and he is no longer with us. He was using a boxwood stove, like that's in my shop, and they are not sealed like my WonderWood.

Burning untreated stuff not an issue, I gather up some for kindling at times at the lumber yard that they throw away in the dumpster. But I'll leave the treated stuff there.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

How often are all you cleaning your chimneys? I try do ours at least once a month during heavy burn periods. I guess I miss stated my original question, what would be an ideal amount to have on hand in case shtf, not normal day in day out? I know never enough is going to be everyone's answer. My normal on hand is around 24 cord(current year + next year + 1 year stacked and seasoning). Guess im just looking at worse case, ie no gas for chainsaw, splitter, 4 wheeler.
    "WHEN IN DOUBT...... EMPTY THE MAG"
    JayBird

I clean our chimney once a year before the start of the heating season. Ours is stainless steel lined double-wall chimney about 17' tall and 6' of black pipe at the stove. The only real creosote buildup seems to be in the black pipe (that has two 45 degree bends in it) and at the chimney cap on the roof.

Like your 3 year plan, adding another year's worth would be a good idea in case of illness or injury that didn't allow us to get out one summer to get more. As I get older I'm finding it harder to envision a SHTF scenario where there wouldn't be any gasoline for 3 years straight though.

This is another reason I love South Central. (Texas)..
    The only temps we seriously have to deal with is heat. A tall glass of iced-tea and a big shade tree is all we need. In the winter time we like to gather around an out door fire pit sittin on our lawn chairs sipping hot tea or cocoa wrapped in a snuggie. LOL
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.