Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng uv-5r

Default Baofeng uv-5r

This past Christmas my mother-in-Law got me one of these, I was asking for a good short range radio so my wife and I could keep in touch when we go out camping. But I'll have to admit, this is a bit more than I was expecting. Any advise on using this device would be great. She got me the radio, the cord to connect to my computer, a longer antenna to extend the range, and a spare battery so I got several toys to go with this, just no clue how to use it.
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

Get the programming cable (original Baofeng) and then download Chirp from danplanet (free) to program it.

For all things Baofeng check out miklor.com

And remember, it's a $25 radio. Not a good one, but hopefully good enough.
    Good medicine in bad places

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

What Fidel said, and check out Radio Reference for the counties around your home and camping areas. Statewide (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=26) and nationwide ones too (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...tab=nationwide). The Michigan State Police and DNR moved to the P25 digital system years ago, but local police/fire/ems are mostly still using FM that the baofeng can pick up. We'll sometimes scan the county sheriffs while sitting around the campfire, sometimes entertaining, and might be helpful to know what things sound like when normal for times when they aren't. Our family comms more closely mimic the police radio practices/protocols than amateur radio users just because that's how we learned. Short, sweet, and confirm receipt.

Without a amateur license the closest you can get to legal use for two-way comms with a Baofeng would probably be MURS or GMRS frequenices, but might check out the business band frequencies too if thinking of going the bootlegger route. This guy has some good info on that, and frequency lists for preppers and patriots. Just be aware you're very close to the FCC/Canada designated Line A, so might be wise to doublecheck there's no restrictions on frequencies for use "north of line A". Whatever you decide, have a plan before you push the PTT button.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

When I first bought my uv-5r, I could not get it to program correctly, no matter what. I finally linked up with a local ham group, and they took care of the programming, showed me the tricks to using it, and answered a thousand of my stupid questions.
    "Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts." - William S. Burroughs

http://miklor.com/uv5r/ for all your programming needs.
    skip the baofeng specific software. go straight to chirp http://chirp.danplanet.com/ (also linked to from the miklor page)

use the longer antenna exclusively if you expect to be heard. the ones they come with are pretty bad.

edit:
    I should read the rest of the thread before I reply. Fidel said everything I said basically.

oh well

"Without a amateur license the closest you can get to legal use for two-way comms with a Baofeng would probably be MURS or GMRS frequenices,"

Actually from everything I have read in the last 2 years, the baofeng is not type accepted for these bands , so no matter if you have a amateur license or not technically, it Would be illegal to transmit on the freqs assigned to these bands on these ht's.

Have I ever programmed the freqs into a chicom ht? Maybe ,maybe not. If I did they would have come out when I found I could lose my amateur license for doing something like that.

MURS only allows 2 watts, and GMRS is a licensed band, no test, buy license and it is good for your immediate family.

Also GMRS channels 15 to channel 22 can be used with up to 50 watts. I do have them in our uhf business band radios. (type accepted,programmed by the comms company I lease repeater time from and licensed. WQRJ814) At 45 watts with a 40ft antenna, works well simplex for close to 20 miles base to mobile, HT's about 8miles (in my part of the State). Can even talk to the bubble pack radios just not as far most of the time.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 03-11-2016 at 07:08 AM.

That's my understanding too jnr, but I could have worded that better. It's not Part 95 certified so MURS and GMRS use is out, it might be Part 90 certified for Private Land Mobile use (some sites say it is, too lazy to dig deeper) but that requires FCC licensing. Within the 2m/70cm ham bands, with an amateur license, for sure is legal.

The UV 5 R and those type are commercial radios. They just happen to work on the 2 meter and 70 CM Ham Bands. My suggestion for many of you is to get your ham ticket. Even if you have a ham ticket the idea is not to make a pain and a pestilence out of yourselves. This is true in operations whether one is licensed or not. As a pain or a pestilence you will stand out as a textbook bonehead and so put a mark upon yourself.

For the money I personally like the UV 5R radios and have several of them as well as the newer 8 Watt models. With these radios I can afford to get them damaged or lost and not be out a lot of moneys. I have also purchased several batteries as spares including the high capacity 3800 mille amp hr. batteries. With these radios when the battery goes low it is only a short time to the radio dropping out completely on transmit.

Most walkie talkies the antennas sold with them are marginal at best. Get some altitude if you can when working with them or put a body of water between you and the direction your receiving station is located. Water and altitude is the ultimate. I sometimes use a parking garage here local which is on the waters edge or failing that to the top of a high elevation building. Remember your operational security and or danger when doing this. OPSEC.

Oh...I own several ham HT's as well..Icom's and Yaesu's and hardly use them now that I have the UV 5R's

In SHTF or TEOTWAWKI..I would not worry about the rules...that stuff will go out the window quickly. I still recommend you learn to conduct yourself professionally and not become a pain and pestilence on the airwaves. Someone with radio skills and ability will stand out for their maturity and character. Two legged wildlife will also stand out ...so do not become two legged wildlife.
    In SHTF or TEOTWAWKI....two legged wildlife will be everywhere. It is like that right now...out here if you know how to observe for it. You do not want these people around you .good times or bad..they are high maintenance...on or off the air.
    I do not like two legged wildlife...with a ham license or without.

I have put the GMRS/FRS frequencies at the end of my memory bank. Some 20 plus frequencies which I got off the net. I mostly monitor these and they are there for my discretionary usage should I need them. I mostly use the 2 meter band on them..though I also have a few 70 cm frequencies on the UV 5R.

My .02,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 05-08-2016 at 10:38 PM.

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicat...tml?id=2692705

Yep, Part 90 certified, partly because Baofeng/Pofung said in their submission: "Programming of this product's transmit frequencies can be performed ONLY by the manufacturer or by service or maintenance personnel. The operator cannot program transmit frequencies using the equipment's external operation." Uhhhh, OK...? Not that I'm complaining, just saying.

Another thing I notice about this thread.

It is difficult and uncomfortable to figure out the steps and there are U tube tutorial videos on the subject...

But I recommend you learn to program frequencies and or delete frequencies manually ...not with the computer program or disc set.

I say this because in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI...you may not have access to a computer or programming disc..or program to do it all for you automatically.

One of the things a prepper learns to do is a manual override. They do not count on the system and all it's conveniences being up and running for them. A prepper knows they may have to go it the hard way if the system crashes.

Do not misunderstand me ...all the system is a wonderful thing and very convenient....but if it goes down....you have junk if you do not know how to go it alone or manually.

And so too it is with programming these Baofeng UV 5R radios and their like.

I have taught myself to insert and delete frequencies manually for this very reason...should the system go down and I not have access to a computer or such programs. I can go it alone.

Teach yourself to go it alone ....without the program. It will be worth it if the SHTF and you and your family/group need this skill on the run.

Same thing with getting a ham license in a time of very convenient computer access..even on our cell phones...e mail and the like. IF this system goes down/crashed..you have nothing.

You train yourself in good times..not after the SHTF ...in a crash course.

Just some additional info...no cover charge.

Thanks,
    Orangetom