Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng uv-5r

Post SHTF. The FCC doesn't really make my top 100 bad things to worry about. I bought a few of these and vacuum sealed them, and ammo canned em with all the toys.left one out to play with and learned how to use it...
    Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull****

Wow SteveDuce,

I've done the same with my extra UV 5R radios and spare batteries, the antennas and roll up emergency J pole antennas. Also put a couple of the chargers in the ammo can. Agree..in SHTF the FCC is one of the last things about which I will be concerned. I will be more worried about two legged wildlife. I too have kept a few out to be used. The rest stowed away as described.

In the mean time use them, the ones not stored, and become familiar with the procedures and various bells and whistles on them. Recommend the videos on u tube or the like...as the instructions are horrible on the UV 5 R radios. The newer 8 watt models have a better instruction manual. About time too.

Great that you are thinking out side the box. Congrats.

Orangetom

I'd suggest programming all of them the same, ready to use with your planned frequencies. Then ammo-can them (after removing the battery). But yeah... they're cheap enough to buy spares to stash.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    I'd suggest programming all of them the same, ready to use with your planned frequencies. Then ammo-can them (after removing the battery). But yeah... they're cheap enough to buy spares to stash.
    Hell, Amazon sells them in multipacks....
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Hell, Amazon sells them in multipacks....
    which is the cheapest way to get them. The 5 pack for $133 comes out to $26.60 per. Or singles are $29.95

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    which is the cheapest way to get them. The 5 pack for $133 comes out to $26.60 per. Or singles are $29.95
    That question is very academic.

It differs for various people and conditions. Many people do not have at any given time ...133 dollars of disposable income...verses 29 or 30 dollars of disposable income.

I got mine one or two at a time rather than a 5 pack or so.

If you need and can afford a 5 pack at that price..go for it.

If you cannot get them individually.

Over time I got numerous UV5 R radios along with spare batteries..and even the much larger capacity batteries for them. I did not go the multi pack route.

It is an individual call as to what one can afford with the resources available..disposable incomes.

My .02,

Orangetom

Do the new 8-watt radios still go by the designation UV5 R's ??

Thanks.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

So many people hate on these radios... lol I love em. Cheap and they work good enough. Do I have other ht's yes... but I mainly use these.
    I think some people are just to materialistic and top shelf these days.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1 View Post
    So many people hate on these radios... lol I love em. Cheap and they work good enough. Do I have other ht's yes... but I mainly use these.
    I think some people are just to materialistic and top shelf these days.

Exactly right Sandman,

I have three Icom T7H walkie talkies and hardly use them now that I have the Beofeng UV5R rigs. The Icoms cost some 160 dollars per back then.

I can afford to lose or get damaged several Beofengs for that price. Not that I would try to go that route.

I have my daily Baofeng on the charger right now and will be taking it to work in my daily BOB. Spare batteries too.

Exactly right...about the Beofengs. Are there better radios out there..absolutely...but not for that price. NO way.

If I want to get out further I go to the top of an 80 foot building to which I have access or the local parking garage top floor. I also have a roll up external antenna in my locker if need be with antenna adapters.

You can figure out how to make it work more efficiently if you apply yourself.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Since they are supposedly commercial radios , I wish they held up better to nasty rainy weather, have had some failures 3 to be exact. Maybe they just don't like cow poop, mixed with mud and driving rain, lol. Could of been because at the time I was using them with GMRS freqs 15-22 only, the radio gods payback for not quite legal use. I do Not use them for that any longer by the way!