Thread: Birth of a wooden house

Default Birth of a wooden house

Long but worth the watch if you appreciate hard work and craftsmanship.

Apparently, he's a member of this team of craftsman. Stuffs way out of my price range. Nice to look at though.

www.neemantools.com
    Ive got your lil buddy right here! Patiently waiting for my cheese to finish sliding off my cracker.

My grandfather was a carpenter by trade. He built houses by hand, before power tools existed. Usually just himself and one helper, maybe an extra pair of hands hired in on an "as needed" basis. Because communities were small, if folks admired a house they would ask who built it. And when they needed a house built, they would look you up and engage your services. It sounds like a monumental undertaking in terms of sheer labor in today's world, without the modern conveniences. It would take about a year of daily labor, my dad said.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I have watched things like this before and man oh man does that take skill and alot of patience. I would like to try my hand at it some day, but since I was raised in the city I prolly will never be able to get of the city in a time frame that would allow me too.
    Vox Populi!

Amazing video, thanks for sharing

I love videos like these....I wish I had 1/10 the skill
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post

Cut off 9 fingers...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    Cut off 9 fingers...
    lol
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post

Aww, man! I don't know about you, T, but the times I've wished I could turn the clock back about 60 years, grab my dad's belt loops, and say "teach my everything you know". Dad was born in 1925, four years before Wall Street crashed. They had to figure out to "make do" with what was on hand or make what you need yourself, or fix what was broken. He was one who could build a house from the ground up; remodel, add a new room, put a new roof on, repair or add new plumbing or wiring; if it needed doing he didn't hire someone to do it. He did it himself! When He retired he owned a cabinet shop. He built some of the most beautiful kitchen cabinets you've ever seen. And the terrible crime is I let all that knowledge get away because I thought I'd never need to know it. There have been times I have sat and cried rivers of tears because of my youthful stupidity. I could probably write a book about all I could have learned from him and my grand dads...as well as mom and my grandmothers. What vast knowledge and wisdom was lost because I "didn't have time to listen". Yeah, if ONLY I could turn back the clock...................! Dad left us back in 1998. Moved on up to the great carpentry shop in the sky. Reckon The Lord needed some fine cabinet work and millwork done. Well, He got the best when dad got there. Heaven's gain is my great, unmeasureable loss. Even still, some of it took root and grew, and I'm trying my best to catch up by reading everything I can get my hands on pertaining to the skills needed to live pretty well even in austere times. My family's well being depends on it, and I WILL NOT fail them!