Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Negative interest rates

one unintended by product that might bear keeping an eye on is that if people choose to not to spend the money but rather stuff it under the mattress this would essentially be a bank run as people convert their fiat bit squiggles on the bank computers that represent their balances and turn those into paper - no bank has that much physical cash or the balance sheet to handle those levels of withdrawals. And after what happened to Cypress and Greece the world's population is not so trusting of banksters, so I think there might be more physical cash hording than the central banks are counting on.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

This is one of my biggest problems, balancing preps, the unknown, cash both in and out of the banks. Taking large amounts out of the banks, just causes undesirable attention. It is a catch 21.9999

Unless you are taking out huge amounts of cash regularly it's not a real issue.
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!

large ammounts of cash you say but who decides and what really is a huge ammount?

large is an undefined term.

if you are talking thousands at one time then you are risking any teller filing a suspicious withdrawal report on you - not good at all. They have to do it over a certain amount, but can do it for any withdrawal.

if you are looking to stash bills under your mattress, get $100 cash back every time you buy chewing gum at Walmart and get as much back as your grocery will give every time you buy a loaf of bread. It will add up.

but IMHO just stuffing money in the mattress is less than optimal. Yes some cash is good to have on hand, but why not take that money you intend to save for future purchases and make those purchases now.

Typically banks report when the amount is between $3k-$9999. It depends on their policy. I believe once it hits $10k it's a requirement. That having been said lots of people deposit and withdrawal lots of cash on a regular basis.
    Thomas Jefferson

large ammounts it used to be 10k till last year some time now it's 5k but even if you try
    to withdraw 1/2 that ammount it will trigger a redflag. if we go into hyperinflation or they collaspe the dollar all togather it won't matter irf you hide your cash up the o'le wazoo it will still go poof!

Storing a stash of cash is a good thing. i think keeping 5-10k on hand is adviseable. Beyond that you should be putting it into a tangible good. Holding large amounts of cash is not a wise move for numerous reasons. My opinion.
    Thomas Jefferson

Having a good supply of cash at home is a good idea. The amount would be different for everyone. I have been steadily building up my home cash supply but now I have decided I have enough. I also built up my silver supply but I think I'm about done there also.
    Now what to do with extra cash?

Note I don't need any more guns or ammo and though I have food I might pad that a little more.

Turn some of that excess cash into goods or services that people will need no mater what. What do you know how to do? Learn how to do it better or learn something new. Got antibiotics and other medical supplies?