Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: candle making

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I've had "run-ins" with those big red wasps...(the one with black wings), yellow jackets and fire ants the last three or four years. They're all a bunch of ill tempered sumbeaches. Don't possess any sense of humor at all! Nearest I can figure, the only thing has kept me from a visit the ER is, being asthmatic I use a steroid inhaler every day. I also now keep Benadryl capsules in my medicine chest...just in case. I think yellow jackets are the worst. They build their nests underground. Run across the entrance with the lawn mower and here they come....hell bent on revenge. And I'm here to tell you...the lawn mower WILL NOT out run them!
    Yellow jackets are vicious. And don't ever throw a rock at a hornet nest either.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

....Run across the entrance with the lawn mower and here they come....hell bent on revenge. And I'm here to tell you...the lawn mower WILL NOT out run them!
    I remember, as a kid, reving up the lawn mower, using a stick to push it over an underground nest, then going inside to watch a movie Some of them made it out, but forget the ending... sorry, lol
    Last edited by Winni; 02-03-2016 at 06:10 AM.

i spent all last year spraying all the hornets i could find as well as thenests
    i used brake parts cleaner kills quick.i even found a hidden nest on the enclosed front porch
    well here we are a new year oh boy here we go again. when i was stung it only took about 8min
    and i was layed out on the deck. had just enough time to call 911 and lock the dog up.

We used to have seriious issues with red wasps and those mean ass yellow jackets. Especially since our house is wood.
    I subscribe to Mother Earth news and in one of the issues was a method of ridding wasp invasion.

I had an empty miracle grow sprayer you attach to the water hose. I filled it 1/3 full of Bromide and spent bath chips that desolved in water in another bottle. I strained the liquid soap and mixed it with the bromide and put it in the sprayer and literally painted my house with it. That where those bashtards were building their nests. (Under the eves) I've been doing this every year in early spring when I start seeing the first wasps searching for nesting areas, and again in mid Summer. They won't build a nest where I've sprayed this mix. You can very lightly spray your plants and lawn with it too and it won't harm them. I've had some pretty desent success with it so far. Two years in a row, no serious issues with those assholes. I still see a few fly around, but no nesting or swarms. Side note:I don't spray around my honey bee hives or my veggie plants when they are blooming.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    We used to have seriious issues with red wasps and those mean ass yellow jackets. Especially since our house is wood.
    I subscribe to Mother Earth news and in one of the issues was a method of ridding wasp invasion.

I had an empty miracle grow sprayer you attach to the water hose. I filled it 1/3 full of Bromide and spent bath chips that desolved in water in another bottle. I strained the liquid soap and mixed it with the bromide and put it in the sprayer and literally painted my house with it. That where those bashtards were building their nests. (Under the eves) I've been doing this every year in early spring when I start seeing the first wasps searching for nesting areas, and again in mid Summer. They won't build a nest where I've sprayed this mix. You can very lightly spray your plants and lawn with it too and it won't harm them. I've had some pretty desent success with it so far. Two years in a row, no serious issues with those assholes. I still see a few fly around, but no nesting or swarms. Side note:I don't spray around my honey bee hives or my veggie plants when they are blooming.
    Cammy, do ya reckon a bit of liquid dish detergent would work as well as bath chips?

I can't see why not. You could try. I do make my own bath soap and use lye which might be a contributing factor but im not positive. I would think dish soap would work. It sure does work well on squash bugs!!

Cammy, do ya reckon a bit of liquid dish detergent would work as well as bath chips?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

i used to make goats milk soap it was the best. then the govt got all the locals all worked up saying
    that lye is used to make meth some how so i stopped making soap if you tried to buy say 4or5 cans of red devil
    lye why they would ask for id jeeze i'm not a dammed junkie i want to make soap. damm i hate what has happend
    to our country that people allowed themselves to be brainedwashed by msm and the govt.

I've never had issues buying lye. I buy mine in 50# bags from the co-op.