Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: candle making

Default candle making

does anyone here make thier own candles? i do i make bees wax taper candles
    it's aa good way to have an extra sorce of light when power goes or whatever.
    i use no#2 grade bees wax.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
    does anyone here make thier own candles? i do i make bees wax taper candles
    it's aa good way to have an extra sorce of light when power goes or whatever.
    i use no#2 grade bees wax.

Good timing patriot. Just ordered wicks to try making my own. Ordered molds too but also plan to try using glass jars and tin cans to see how they work. Plan to use leftover wax from the hundreds of candles my wife has discarded that still have lots of wax in the bottom.

Tons of candles are available at yard sales for pennies. People get tired of them or something happens and damages the candle. I always keep a few old candles in my shop just to use as a lubricant.

Don't buy "new" wax/paraffin, just go to yard sales and look around.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I have a friend who is very good at candle making... She gives them as Xmas gifts... On the other hand, I've tried it a time or 2 and didn't have very good results... Not as easy as she makes it look...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Make'em from tallow, (animal fat). If necessary you can melt them and fry food stuffs in it.

As a kid I made a few. I'd use sand as a mold. Make a hole about the size of a half a tennis ball, and then three legs with my finger. Add wick and fill. Fairly simple.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Make'em from tallow, (animal fat). If necessary you can melt them and fry food stuffs in it.
    Wouldn't they be too soft if you just use fat ?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Wouldn't they be too soft if you just use fat ?
    They have to be 'in' something. Dish, can, jar, whatever

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    They have to be 'in' something. Dish, can, jar, whatever
    How are fallow candles in storage...??? Would they not go rancid at some point???
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I make dip candles with coconut oil and organic bees wax from our hives. I have a vat and use shoe laces from the dollar store for wicks. You can get a gross in pkges of 10 for a dollar, so that's (20) 30" laces per gross pkg. I cut them into 15" lengths and tie them in rows of 10 to a wooden dowel after dipping them in the melted oil/wax mix. That way I can make 10 candles at a time by dipping the shoe lace wicks into the vat full of melted wax and coconut oil, let it cool about 30 seconds, then dip again. I keep doing that until the candles are the thickness I want, then hang them on a dowel hanger to harden. After they are hardened, I wrap each one in parchment paper and stack them in a box and store them in my store room where it stays cool and dry year round. I probably have a couple hundred stick candles stored right now and plenty of hard natural bees wax and coconut oil in recycled jugs stored for making more. I also save the dripped wax and add it back to my reserve.
    To me, this is the easiest way and cost effective way to make candles.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.