Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio Operators - HF Net

Default Amateur Radio Operators - HF Net

First I will say, if there happens to be a post on this already, feel free to delete this post (MODS).

I was just sitting here tonight and I was wondering how many ham operators we have here. And the second question is how many ham operators here are at least General class operators... The reason I ask is because I was thinking that maybe some of the General class and above operators might be interested in starting a weekly HF net. I realize that Tech license holders might feel left out but 10 meters is hit or miss so we would want to use a different band. I'm thinking 80, 40 or 20 meters...

If anyone is interested please chime in. I would suggest that we don't give our callsigns on here for obvious reasons but that's up to you.

I probably wouldn't be able to get on the air for a few weeks anyway because I am in the process of moving to my new property so I was just trying to see who might be interested so I know if I should hurry up and get my dipole in the air.

NB, I have a general license, and I guess the band would depend on when the net is, and what areas of the country everyone is in. Also to be honest, at least in this area, you don't hear folks talking prepping, the "few" times I have heard it brought up, the subject gets changed rather quickly. So a net would probably be best kept to the ham radio subject in case other areas are like ours in this part of Texas. We of course would know who the others were, and it would be good practice. Guess set it up on private message

EchoLink could perceivably fix the Tech exclusion.

I still need to get off my butt and pickup my General and/or Extra. Just hasn't been on the radar as of late.

Yup on echolink, however , upgrading may be the better idea. If a serious enough event should ever occur that was bad enough for us to ALL be in a shtf situation (not an isolated event) the chances are very good you won't have echolink, irlp, allstar, D-star, anything computer aided or depending on infrastructure for very long ,if at all. For everyday use I guess it is fine though, I try not to use repeaters any more than I have to , and it seems more and more have all the extras like echo added.
    If one of those events does ever occur though, my area of concern as for as comms go will be from central Texas to the coast, say San Antonio to Austin ,down to Houston, and from San Antonio to the Brownsville area. May want to monitor farther that that really no need to talk any farther.
    Just my opinion of course ,it doesn't mean a thing.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 09-20-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks for the replies... While I would hope some shtf conversations came up, it surely doesn't have to be an shtf oriented net. It could be about anything. I guess I was just thinking that if we all started getting together at some regular time, be that once a week, once a month or whatever, first, it would allow us to meet each other, second, it would give those who don't use HF much a chance to gain more experience in a practical way and third, it would prepare us in case of some type of situation as we would already know where to go to talk with others. Kind of like an "All quiet on the Western front" kind of communication system where people around the country could chime in and give their reports.

I guess the difference in this net from all of the other HF nets would simply be that we know we are of like mind on issues of preparedness even if we never talk about it on the air waves...

General class here. I to need to get my new tower up and my 40m / 80m up on there.
    My website: Desert Rat Preppers...................http://www.desertratpreppers.com/home.htm

Don't have my general yet, but this sounds like a great idea.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Extra here. I don't operate as much as I used to. This would make a good reason to get back on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
    Yup on echolink, however , upgrading may be the better idea. If a serious enough event should ever occur that was bad enough for us to ALL be in a shtf situation (not an isolated event) the chances are very good you won't have echolink, irlp, allstar, D-star, anything computer aided or depending on infrastructure for very long ,if at all. For everyday use I guess it is fine though, I try not to use repeaters any more than I have to , and it seems more and more have all the extras like echo added.
    If one of those events does ever occur though, my area of concern as for as comms go will be from central Texas to the coast, say San Antonio to Austin ,down to Houston, and from San Antonio to the Brownsville area. May want to monitor farther that that really no need to talk any farther.
    Just my opinion of course ,it doesn't mean a thing.
    I've got the equipment, just not the license. So that's not an issue if things go sideways. Depending on what it is, I'll probably have local computers back online pretty quickly too.

Just bringing up solutions for present problem.

no tower here,unless you count pushup poles for 2m. I try to keep my HF stuff as portable as I can. I am using lnr precision end fed 1/2 waves, the 40m is horizontal at about 18-20 ft, 80m same at 20ft. Cover Texas pretty easy on 40m and 200 watts when the band starts to shorten during the day up til about 9pm. About the only time I use 80(75)m is for a net at 0730 on Sundays covers S. Texas over to the La. border, Also have a guy in Ft Worth that checks in. This net has been going on since 1945.
    I do have a 20m wire, don't use it much at all ,20 has too much contesting for me. But I have talked to both coasts, and NM on 20 enough to know I can make the contacts. Really need to play with my HF stuff more to build more experience on when, how, and what works under different conditions.