Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio Operators - HF Net

im game jnr
    I just need the gen tag because im limited to tech freqs but im game if you want to set something up there.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Tech can operate SSB phone from 28.300-28.500. 10m hasn't been great lately, but if tech is all you've got, it's worth a shot.

I lucked out when I got my tech,and the solar cycle was still in a good enough spot where you could count on 10m acting close to the same every day(unless solar/geomagnetic conditions were like they have been last 3 days) and could talk to Australia,Europe, S.Africa, and about anywhere over about 1200 miles away from my home base . It was lots of fun and that and friends pushed me into testing for general.
    Now at this stage of the cycle, sure there are "times 10m opens some, But, few and far between, it will be a few years before it becomes dependable enough for specific comm times and nets, And even then, in the evenings when most that work can do nets, the band drops, Never hear anything after dark on 10m. And the last few days 75, 20 etc have sucked too due to Geo magnetic storms, 75m seems a bit better at 0500 this morning, but the folks I listen to are all in Texas, no idea how any long distance comms are .

and a lot of the local (texas) 75m hams have amps and crappy antennas. they're not really a gauge of how well the band is doing.

Amen to that Austinrob, you are 100% correct! I have heard a few members of this one 75m group I monitor come out and tell a new ham general to come back and talk when he has an amp and a signal! Talk about making someone feel like poop. His signal was as good if not better than most of these guys, I asked a fellow I know who gets on there with these people what the deal was, and he said that's just how they are. Told him I thought they were asshats, and he could tell em that . Sorry I have NO use for that kind of BS.
    But the last 2 days only 2 of this group was heard, so I know the propagation must have been much worse. they all seem to run the legal limit, and as you say their antennas suck so they make up for it with power.

Guess like on other sites there is interest , but not any action . Life always gets in the way,lol.

Hang in there, I'm working on it. Just got my HT partially programmed last week at CERT class. Didn't get it completed because I forgot the interface cable. Next will be my mobile, and then I'll look at a base.

Mobile can't be that hard to install, but how to get through the truck cab wall? Hard to see but looks like the hole and plug is oblong. Does somebody have a grommet to fit that hole to prevent leaking?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Mobile can't be that hard to install, but how to get through the truck cab wall? Hard to see but looks like the hole and plug is oblong. Does somebody have a grommet to fit that hole to prevent leaking?
    Remember you mentioning this before, but too lazy to look up the details and suggestions in that thread. I installed my mobile vhf radio by running the power connection out the existing hole/grommet on the passenger/battery side, and the antenna coax out the driver's side hole/grommet (then underneath the truck and back to the antenna on the bumper). Both out the same hole probably wouldn't fit, but separated out it wasn't too bad to get them through.

In my plow/wood hauling/beater extended cab truck, I just put a mag mount antenna on the roof and slammed the half door on the passenger side shut on the coax, and inside shoved the coax under the molding to the passenger side sun visor. The HT is clipped on the visor, and the cigarette lighter power cord is looped around the rearview mirror and down to the cigarette lighter plug. Yeah, looks like ****, but so does the truck. And we never use that passenger rear door, so the coax will probably last longer than the truck will.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    and a lot of the local (texas) 75m hams have amps and crappy antennas. they're not really a gauge of how well the band is doing.
    The difference between 100 and 1000 watts is 10 db, its easy to lose 10 db in a crappy antenna. Money is always best invested in antenna and feedline.

I stay off 75m most of the time, lots of the guys down there have been there so long they feel they have a claim to the whole band.

I agree SOG. We really need a LIKE button on this site! Would be kinda fun to have a group from sites like these, boy would that shake up ham radio!