Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed: SHTF Novel and some Family Difficulties

Default Help needed: SHTF Novel and some Family Difficulties

Howdy y'all. I been debating doing this for a couple of weeks, but my hands are officially tied, and I am about run out of options.

I haven't been making a big deal out of it, but my wife and I started a business this year, Redwolf. Job market just collapsed out here, and then my wife got pregnant, which put the screws to us. I find it hard to talk about my issues, but they mean something in this discussion, so I'll touch on them a bit. I have really bad ADHD. If one side of my family had not wanted the stigma of having a child on disability, I would have it. I do not function well in normal 9-5 jobs, and it had been a lodestone dragging me down. I am also an insomniac, that is an important detail to forget to put down.

Redwolf was founded to make use of the skill set we both had available. My wife is a seamstress, and I am a survivialist/bushcrafter/martial artist/living history research machine. Love the stuff. Most of our stuff has been custom made clothing and kit, though we do stock a few items that we have liked, and used in our travels. Only so much you can do with only so much money. We were doing alright for a little while, but we were funding everything out of pocket. No bank loans, no nothing hanging overhead. And we were paying bills, doing just fine. Made it up to Rendezvous in Kentucky, even made it up to the Pathfinder Gathering this year.

Kentucky put the first nail in our coffin. First couple of nails. It was ludicrously expensive to get in. We were told that they had 100 camps (tents full of people) already there and set up when we left, and that they were expecting at least 300 camps from the preregistration. I think that by the end of the week, maybe 35 camps had shown up. We didn't gross what it cost to rent the space to pitch the tent. We camped next to a family who ran a soda tavern, a 2,000+ item shop, and a smithy, and they had the same luck. Said it was the worst they had seem it since they started doing that 9 months out of the year since 1986. It banged us up pretty bad, as far as finances go.

Back home, we got everything situated, and started moving forward, but wife got put on bedrest. She can't get up long enough to sew right now, and I can't hardly sew a lick. It has really got us in a pretty bad situation. Got bills coming due, nothing is panning out, and even if I could find a job, I am simply not going to be able to keep if very long. And I HATE how much BS that sounds like.

The one skill that I do have, and love to utilize, is writing. Lifelong dream of mine to be an author, and frankly it is something that I am honestly good at. My disabilities, such as they are, become strengths when composing detailed prose. With everything that has been happening, I decided to put up a Go Fund Me campaign to try and keep the lights on long enough for me to finish my SHTF novel, which I have posted the rough draft on here as Against My Better Judgement. I would appreciate y'all at least going to take a look at it, and spread the word if nothing else. If y'all feel the need to contribute, you have my thanks, and I'm still trying to figure out how to work the stupid thing to put in stretch goals and rewards, if you have any suggestions. I am planning on self publishing it in an ebook format. I have an idea of were to send it, but I am still asking around to a few people in the know about good places to do so.

The Go Fund Me campaign is titled Writing a SHTF Novel. I will probably be setting up a Kickstarter as well, but it might take me a day or two to run it up. I'll update y'all as it goes along.

Also, this is our website if y'all want to go read some bad blog posts and check out our Shop. We do have more stuff that we can do than what is up online. With the tech lady on bedrest, I can't seem to update anything without breaking everything else. If y'all see something you like, or have something in mind that you might want, just let us know. We are working on it as best we can.
    www.redwolfblog.com

Well y'all, that is about all I can think of. Still don't feel good about doing this, but there it is.

Keep up the Good Fight

P.S. Don't y'all go laughing at me for being a bearded behemoth! I get enough of it as it is! Haha.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

Dude, that just sucks, all the issues. Congratulations on the 'bun in the oven' though.

Post up a link to your 'gofundme' thing, or PM it to me.

I'm not a fan of the e-book thing, although I enjoy reading. Maybe I'll ask my wife to assist me getting it downloaded. Will it be available via Amazon?

Joe - NY

It should be, unless something comes up I don't know about. Haha.

http://www.gofundme.com/qs3638d8

That is supposed to be the link.

I would like paper copies myself, but the expense on that goes up. Trying to keep a realistic goal, but if I can raise enough money, or everything straightens out, I am going to have at least a few hard copies to sell on my Shop.

Also, thanks for the congrats. We are super excited, and very weary of the process. haha.

I wrote my first couple short SHTF stories as a lark. I think my main reason was to let my wife and kids read the stories so they would know what to maybe expect if/when SHTF and what to do when it does. I published the first three all at once on Amazon with the hopes of maybe making a hundred bucks in a year off them. The first two weeks netted me $750. I make much more now. So it is a viable source of income for you. Besides fiction you could also do how-to books on many subjects it sounds like. Though I try to keep my short stories at around a hundred pages they can be any size. (I have seen many under 50 pages). How-to articles can be quite short and of course you can add photos.
    You could maybe use Craigslist to try to get a couple handyman type jobs if you are into that.
    Ebay is a very easy way to sell almost anything and many people make their living that way. For a couple years I made custom gun sights (some like my avatar) and sold them on Ebay. I made a pretty fair amount of money that way and maybe you could find a niche to do something similar.
    Writing is very easy and the royalties keep coming even if you quit writing but it might be a slow start at the beginning.
    Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out well for you and your family.
    Last edited by hiwall; 09-09-2015 at 12:53 PM.

If I wasn't flat broke, I'd help out. My shops been floundering for awhile now. I made the 50 cal can locks to try and generate some cash.
    I'll be making the decision at the end of this year for yeah or nay to stay open.
    I checked out your blog shop. Reasonable prices for sure. If I sell my wood stove, I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by Insanehillbilly; 09-09-2015 at 01:06 PM.
    Ive got your lil buddy right here! Patiently waiting for my cheese to finish sliding off my cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanehillbilly View Post
    If I sell my wood stove, I'll see what I can do.
    What, the broken one?
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    What, the broken one?
    Now now, I never said it was broken. I said I couldn't get it to work. For all I know, that things the bomb.
    I just wont run a pipe up through my bathroom to find out.
    Ive got your lil buddy right here! Patiently waiting for my cheese to finish sliding off my cracker.

I've written 4 instructional how to books on art. The first day I listed each one, I made well over $5,000.00 ea. One of my books actually netted $10,065.00 the first week. All but one of them were ebooks. It's definately doable with the right target market. I have since taken them off the sales venue. It's been 5 years. I've seriously been thinking of reintroducing them. Not sure what the art market is like right now but it's worth a try and we seriously need more income. Times are tough right now.

Hubby's business went belly up a 4 months ago. He was searching while unemployed and found another job in the same line of work. Draw back is, only half what he was making. Before, He was on salary. Now he's on hourly and hours are short. We still haven't been able to adjust our budget and it's kicking our butts. We hardly make due. Actually, we don't make due. We shuffle bills now. You gotta do what you gotta do to try to stay above water.

Keep your chin up and don't despair. You'll find your way.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanehillbilly View Post
    Now now, I never said it was broken.
    I was just Razzin ya lil buddy.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!