Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood or Pellet Stove

how do you cook?
    how do you heat water?

Maybe a wood cook stove in the kitchen would be a good addition?

You might think about converting to propane, really not that expensive.
    Our retreat was all electric when we bought it.
    2,200 sf with 1,200 upstairs and 1,000 partly finished basement.
    Smokey Mountains area of TN, so temperate compared to Idaho, so YMMV.

Yes, we put in a wood stove because we have 70 acres of woods, but

we use propane for pretty much all heating.
    we pay $12/month rent on a 1,000 gallon propane tank (800 gal really)
    we are currently using about 300 gallons per year.

bought a cheap (no electronics) gas range for about $200 - wife likes it much better than electric.
    then two propane space heaters.
    basement unit:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Prop...+Space+Heaters

living quarters unit:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

NFPA 54 states that air circulating (blue flame) type space heaters have at least 12 inches clearance from the heater sides and rear.
    , so that should work for you

finally an on demand hot water heater:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

pre SHTF we still use the electric water heater to preserve propane.
    we use the 30,000 btu heater in the basement to keep that about 60 in the winter, have another wood stove to go down there, but have to construct a chimney first.

then we heat living quarters primarily with wood but only when the high is no more than 40 degrees because the wood stove puts out 110,000 btu which gets the house too hot - in those situations we use the 20,000 propane space heater in the living room.

I have also purchased adapters to allow me to fill 20lb and 1lb tanks from the 1,000gal tank.

Final propane item is a portable propane generator, but I already have a 6kw diesel genny, so the propane would be for backup and to use around the farm - that's why it is still on the wish list.
    Probably this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-GEN4...pane+generator

propane is very handy in the convenience aspect. No wood to haul in and manage, etc. Frees up time now for other prep work, but in TEOTWAKI situation we would go wood as much as possible to make propane last.

YMMV

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Can you add a second sheet of fireboard over the existing one with an air gap between to meet code?
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Medic View Post
    So it's to costly to widen the room but could you tear out the walls and replace them with cement or stone or some other inflammable material. If the walls can't burn it won't matter how hot they get.
    Good idea. This may have to happen, as even with the smallest of wood stoves I will not have enough side clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    how do you cook?
    how do you heat water?

Maybe a wood cook stove in the kitchen would be a good addition?

You might think about converting to propane, really not that expensive.
    Our retreat was all electric when we bought it.
    2,200 sf with 1,200 upstairs and 1,000 partly finished basement.
    Smokey Mountains area of TN, so temperate compared to Idaho, so YMMV.

Yes, we put in a wood stove because we have 70 acres of woods, but

we use propane for pretty much all heating.
    we pay $12/month rent on a 1,000 gallon propane tank (800 gal really)
    we are currently using about 300 gallons per year.

bought a cheap (no electronics) gas range for about $200 - wife likes it much better than electric.
    then two propane space heaters.
    basement unit:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Prop...+Space+Heaters

living quarters unit:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

, so that should work for you

finally an on demand hot water heater:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

pre SHTF we still use the electric water heater to preserve propane.
    we use the 30,000 btu heater in the basement to keep that about 60 in the winter, have another wood stove to go down there, but have to construct a chimney first.

then we heat living quarters primarily with wood but only when the high is no more than 40 degrees because the wood stove puts out 110,000 btu which gets the house too hot - in those situations we use the 20,000 propane space heater in the living room.

I have also purchased adapters to allow me to fill 20lb and 1lb tanks from the 1,000gal tank.

Final propane item is a portable propane generator, but I already have a 6kw diesel genny, so the propane would be for backup and to use around the farm - that's why it is still on the wish list.
    Probably this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-GEN4...pane+generator

propane is very handy in the convenience aspect. No wood to haul in and manage, etc. Frees up time now for other prep work, but in TEOTWAKI situation we would go wood as much as possible to make propane last.

YMMV
    I like the ideas. I'll have the wife cost it out to see what we can come up with. The wife has mentioned propane in the past, but we never researched it much.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Can you add a second sheet of fireboard over the existing one with an air gap between to meet code?
    I wish it were that easy. I think the additional fireboard would get way too hot. We may end up having to Militant_Medic's idea of expanding the area.

I do what I needed to do to stay with wood. Its worked well for a thousand years. Where are you going to get your pellets when shtf.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuck View Post
    I do what I needed to do to stay with wood. Its worked well for a thousand years. Where are you going to get your pellets when shtf.
    exactly
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

I mixed a little of the old with the new. I was an exchange student in Finnland for a couple years in High school, and they had these brick and stone stoves that kept the house warm during some pretty cold winter days.

I built a masonry stove after the design I had seen in Finnland, with a few improvements to venting and extras for baking and cooking.

I start a very hot fire and the stove absorbs the heat. When I am cooking, I set a smaller fire and burn it for a longer period of time. Either way the house is heated almost all day. If I am baking that day, I use the black stove and load it up, just after the fire burns down to coals.

My philosophy on stoves: There is no school like old school.
    "...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." R. Reagan

Where are you going to get pellets, when the SHTF.

Metal shields spaced an inch or two out from the wall work wonders. I have shields around the fire box end of a cook stove and the wall behind the shield stays quite cool. I have seen several other installations using metal shields that have worked quite well.