Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MAG Scenario

If our military had this mindset, we'ld be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by allen_idaho View Post
    That's just what I'm saying. Small town folk do tend to work together. Because they know one another. Like my town, with a population of around 250. But most likely would be pretty unlikely to take in an outsider that just showed up one day.

I certainly wouldn't want or need this stranger's help. I would just assume he/she has an eye on my crops or cattle and is looking for a free ride or a chance to kill me and my family and take it all. The only people I would accept help from are those I have known for a long time that have something to offer in return other than just manpower.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by allen_idaho View Post
    Is it really a gesture of good faith when a stranger attempts to force his/herself into your life? They don't know you. They won't trust you. And you may have already violated any chance of trust by sneaking up to their porch.

I might trust my neighbors. To an extent. But some random person looking for a secluded spot to ride out the SHTF, not a chance.

If the family says "thanks for the meat but not interested in having you around", what then?
    The original scenario clearly states "they are starving, but surviving..." This is not a scenario where they are doing great and getting a lot of community help and "holding their own". They need help and you need help.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    Why a mag?
    Because a single person can't pull guard duty 24/7
    Dogs can help, but agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    And besides I'm bored with the voices in my head.
    They always argue with my imaginary friends

To the OP's question, I might stay behind cover on public property and shout or blow a whistle mid-day to alert them of my presence first. If in shouting distance, maybe get permission to approach.

One thing that bothers me about the scenario however is:

Quote Originally Posted by theloneone View Post
    You have a scoped rifle and a pistol. [...] You scope a distant farmhouse or a small ranch house in a wooded area, but you observe from afar.
    If the S has HTF and society has broken down, and there's evidence or proof of looters/raiders operating in my area, I'd try to eliminate anyone pointing a scoped weapon in the direction of my home even if they weren't on my property, and without giving them any warning, if I saw them. Not to say I would spot them, or that they'd even need a scope to see the goings on around my home given our wooded AO, just that in that scenario I'd consider them a sniper and (hope I) wouldn't have a problem shooting first.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post

To the OP's question, I might stay behind cover on public property and shout or blow a whistle mid-day to alert them of my presence first. If in shouting distance, maybe get permission to approach.

One thing that bothers me about the scenario however is:

If the S has HTF and society has broken down, and there's evidence or proof of looters/raiders operating in my area, I'd try to eliminate anyone pointing a scoped weapon in the direction of my home even if they weren't on my property, and without giving them any warning, if I saw them. Not to say I would spot them, or that they'd even need a scope to see the goings on around my home given our wooded AO, just that in that scenario I'd consider them a sniper and (hope I) wouldn't have a problem shooting first.
    Oh holy crap! I totally agree with you here! I've actually been in this situation before. I called the police and he was arrested and charged and went to jail for 2 years. That whole scenerio gives me chills!

Quote Originally Posted by theloneone View Post
    You have a scoped rifle and a pistol. [...] You scope a distant farmhouse or a small ranch house in a wooded area, but you observe from afar.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    If our military had this mindset, we'ld be screwed.
    The military does have that mindset. The military has a pretty solid stance of zero trust. Which is why we would smuggle guns along for humanitarian aid missions when we were expressly forbidden from entering the country with firearms.
    And is why they don't allow every single US citizen to enter any military base they want.
    And is why we would generally assume anybody approaching our ship or vehicle had the intent of blowing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Medic View Post
    The original scenario clearly states "they are starving, but surviving..." This is not a scenario where they are doing great and getting a lot of community help and "holding their own". They need help and you need help.
    You are right. And it changes nothing. The only way I would allow this person to stay on my property is if he/she were hanging on the fence with the other trespassers. Either my family and I would make it or we wouldn't. Having an extra mouth to feed isn't going to remedy that. Especially if they have a 50/50 chance of slitting your throat while you sleep.

This is really gonna piss you off but, here goes...

Shakes head... You won't make it with that attitude. If anything, you'll be the one ending up depriving your family and becoming what you hate most.. A preditor.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 08-02-2015 at 07:27 PM.

I don't think you are seeing the whole picture. In this hypothetical, if I were the head of the starving family, refusing to take in a complete stranger wouldn't really be depriving my family of anything. I still have neighbors and family members not far away. If I needed help, I would go to them and ask for it. Much less risk. Much more practical. And most likely mutually beneficial.

During the apocalypse, you go ahead and take in all the shady drifters you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    This is really gonna piss you off but, here goes...

Shakes head... You won't make it with that attitude. If anything, you'll be the one ending up depriving your family and becoming what you hate most.. A preditor.

Predator.

Thanks TG. I didn't proof that post. Was cooking dinner.