Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Our Newest Addition!

Can't wait to get back to our "games" he loves so much!

(not Major, but this shot captures his enthusiasm)
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Yeah I can't imagine why a dog like that would get hip displacement.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Yep the dogs who don't have solid hip/socket are a lot more prone to injury and if the dog is actually worked on the job or in compefition that risk goes up dramatically. Having solid joints and good angulation goes a long way toward being able to show what the breed is and should be capable of without undue risk of injury. Protection work is a very athletic endeavor and dogs that aren't built for it are frequently retired early due to injuries. Major gets a good workout at the park daily to promote good strength, stamina and bone density. Leaping, twisting and gyrating are part of the workout so it is not just running. He's developed an amazing ability to twist/turn in mid air and land on his feet like a cat. This helps keep his joints strong and supporting structure resistant to injury. Having his hip score gives us assurance his training will make him stronger instead of exacerbating an underlying condition.
    Last edited by bruss01; 06-28-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Just looking at that pic I laughed and thought of that. My Jack Russel flips around so many different ways it'll get you dizzy. Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Few people realize that the Doberman breed as founded by herr Louis Dobemann in the 1800's does contain a lot of terrier blood (greyhound and manchester terrier were among the breeds used). So your Jack Russell and Major are actually distant relatives.

Terrier behavior differs from mastiff behavior when it comes to how these branches of dog-dom address threats. A mastiff-based breed will tend to do a lot of posturing and threatening growls and barks before deciding an attack is necessary. Terriers were primarily bred early on to be small game and vermin eradicators, so they sometimes attack without warning... you don't "warn" prey. Many modern-day dog breeds contain elements of both. For some reason Major does not like huskies and he has gone right up to them and started whooping them wjth zero warning. We hope it is a teenage phase that he will grow/train out of. With people he exhibits the bark/growl/warn behavior.
    Last edited by bruss01; 06-28-2017 at 04:25 PM.

I can just see it now my Pickles and Major pestering each other! Lol

Major earned his "bronze" level Grand Championship this weekend. Breeders are having the time of their lives... he enjoys traveling but I miss my buddy. The show circuit brings them back around to Grass Valley which is only an hours drive, we may go watch that one next week.

Just testing an online photo host here:
    Last edited by bruss01; 08-29-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Great news! I enjoy hearing about his progress.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.