Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream house

Default Dream house

So the wife and I were talking about buying a lot and building a house from the ground up. Started talking about desired features with my preferences running in the prepper direction and hers being more suburban housewife. I work in the city and hate long commutes so I can't exactly bug out. But there are a few suburbs offering 2-5 acre lots some of which are heavily forested.

So--- if you were building your dream "bug in" house with a budget of about $300-400,000 what would you include?
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

My wife and I have discussed this same subject. This is what we came up with.

Build a 2 story house that is pretty plain, nothing fancy at all. BUT, the lower story would be below ground. When building the place, if you are handy and have the time to do it, you can finish it out inside yourself. This way you can build a hidden entrance to the lower floor. Even if the house was only 3k square foot, that still means that your entire hidden bug out area is 1500 square foot which is still pretty good size. You could build in a large water storage area, you can get a buried propane tank in the yard that feeds the whole house. Install a whole house HEPA filter to help prevent nasty airborne stuff from getting inside.

No one outside the house would ever see anything to show them what is going on inside the 1st floor. It would also be very easy to wire up security cameras so the top floor could be monitored from the 1st floor without ever being seen.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I like the hidden basement idea.

Maybe also poured concrete walls for both floors and a non-flamable roof like metal or tile.
    Berm up the "first" floor to right below the windows.
    plant lots of roses against the house

if you really went crazy a detached garage with a tunnel between the house and garage (escape)

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    plant lots of roses against the house

if you really went crazy a detached garage with a tunnel between the house and garage (escape)
    Why roses? and the tunnel is a great idea as every bunker should have 2 entrances.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Would be out of the ordinary for a suburban home to NOT have a basement. Attach a secondary panic room/shtf room to the basement. Use an old heavy fridge/bookshelf as a door. I imagine OPSEC is gone when the blueprints are registered and the permits have to be done.
    Last edited by theloneone; 07-02-2015 at 05:45 PM.

What about a double basement? The area we are looking at is pretty dry and has a pretty deep water table (I know- not ideal from the water access perspective) but it would be ideal from a "go deep" perspective.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Two words..... Burt gummer
    Vox Populi!

Why roses?
    burglars do not like thorns.
    substitute what grows in your area that would discourage someone from being right below your windows.

Quote Originally Posted by theloneone View Post
    Would be out of the ordinary for a suburban home to NOT have a basement. Attach a secondary panic room/shtf room to the basement. Use an old heavy fridge/bookshelf as a door. I imagine OPSEC is gone when the blueprints are registered and the permits have to be done.

Up north basements are common, but here in Texas it is hard to find a house that has a basement due to our shifting soils.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Build with ICF ( Insulated Concrete Forms).

Joe - NY