Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Who has a non prepping related hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by johnEprophet View Post
    My particular skill set is much lower than that kind of electrical work. A previous employer sent me to classes to be electrical cert. On 480v and terrorist safety video on that kind of voltage scared me off. I tend to stay on circuit boards, and yes I can do some SMD work as well. It has largely grown off of curiosity, and personal need.

For example my ps4, got knocked around with an HDMI cable in ended up tearing the HDMI half off the board. I had a few options, send it off and pay $200 to have it fixed, scrap it and buy a new one, or start watching videos and get my hands dirty. I get $90 now from the locals for doing ps4 HDMI ports, remove what's there, clean up the spots, hot air on a new one. I go further and epoxythe new HDMI port on the board for some extra strength.

I can do basic stuff with electricity it's self.

That is great John. Learn by trial and error...common sense. I too am not keen on 440/480 type work. I can work 220 volts and such but 440 you have to be very careful.

Even circuit board work is a valuable commodity today.

Before paying some 500 dollars plus for a new Anti Brake Module...on my van I am going to try to remove it and closely examine the circuit board for cracks and bad grounds. It works fine when it is cool/cold..but when it heats up the ABS/Brake light come on. I think it is a crack in the circuit board..heat expansion. If Not I will make the expenditure for a new one but figure H have little to lose by exploring it myself.
    Have a 1200 watt inverter here...never hooked one up but I will learn.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by X-cop View Post
    There is the politics and on top of that they are just bad stories now. They keep rehasing old plots and doing them poorly. I talked to a well known artist and writer at a con who used to work at marvel, he's just disgusted with the management from what he said. He won't go back ever, they have allegedly asked him back several times along with others. But they won't work for Avid, so we get whiny hipsters like Bendis ruining x-men with retcon after retcon and killing off characters who are "too toxicly masculine" and such crap
    You know X-cop,

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now. It has been some time since I saw the interview and don't remember the actors name..but similar was said about the screenwriters profession. There are not that many good writers around as was in the olde days. They are struggling for good material..according to this actor.

What made me think of this was the plethora of Comic Book characters which are now made into movies. I am not enamored of this kind of thing. I enjoyed them much better on the pages of a coloring book instead of on the big screen.

And like that actor..I asked myself what the screenwriters were thinking and doing??? Were they out of ideas???

Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    That is great John. Learn by trial and error...common sense. I too am not keen on 440/480 type work. I can work 220 volts and such but 440 you have to be very careful.

Even circuit board work is a valuable commodity today.

Before paying some 500 dollars plus for a new Anti Brake Module...on my van I am going to try to remove it and closely examine the circuit board for cracks and bad grounds. It works fine when it is cool/cold..but when it heats up the ABS/Brake light come on. I think it is a crack in the circuit board..heat expansion. If Not I will make the expenditure for a new one but figure H have little to lose by exploring it myself.
    Have a 1200 watt inverter here...never hooked one up but I will learn.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    That sounds more like a bad trace on the board, follow the traces, you'll either see the break, or might find where the voltage stops at. What is more common on automotive boards however is the components solder connections going bad. GM in particular their gauge pods I've made some money with, get em from the local scrap yard for 15-20$, clean them sometimes dress them up with white face decals but resolder the speedo or fuel gauges and bam it's worth $100-150$.

I don't have fancy solder station, just a hot air/iron work station I grabbed from radio shack. It works for the light soldering I do, typically capacitors on TV power supply boards, and a few other oddball tasks. I'm really making more money fixing cell phones than anything else these days. I can do 3 iPhones in an hour, profit around $120 for 3 iPhones too, vs spending 1-3 hours tearing down a TV and trouble shooting, and installing a new cap and re assembling it where I'll make $50-100. But I don't turn down many repair jobs, mainly if it's in my customers best interest to just buy a new model.

johnEprophet,

Hey John,....thanks for the advice. Yes..agree there may be a trace problem I shall have to observe carefully for that as well. Interesting about the cell phone repair. And yes...understand about the TVs today. Often better to get a new one.

Solder connections going bad...you mean like a cold solder joint?? Or the component breaking lose from the solder??

Thanks,
    Orangetom

It really amounts to the same thing, on dash panels I will heat up all solder connections one at a time let them melt and they will be good as new.

Thanks John,

Orangetom

Default who has non prepping hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Man I cannot think of a thing that is not preparing related that is a hobby.
    My only hobby is being being a mt man/ free trapper / skinner. I have a primitive camp set up [TIPI] up in the back of my pasture along the tree line by the creek. Im an old guy and have been interested in this LIFE STYLE for many years. I guess it is a PREPPING hobby but it is what i do and really enjoy it. I have lived in my home for 36 years and i have many of prepping supplies stored away. Its just me and my black lab [RAVEN] and he likes what i like.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Welcome aboard....

Long time between joining and posting... Don't be a stranger...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...