Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has a non prepping related hobby?

Tdale, how long of exposures are you talking there? Say on the horsehead. Stunning photos for such a small scope, guess it's all about the time.

Bowyery. fletching, and playing Counter Strike are my non-prep hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by captbob View Post
    Tdale, how long of exposures are you talking there? Say on the horsehead. Stunning photos for such a small scope, guess it's all about the time.

My light frames were 6 minute exposures on Horsehead and I think I took around 100 Light frame exposures that were then stacked with Dark, Bias, and Flat frames subtracted. There's a lot of post-processing to bring out the minute details captured in your light frames. A good rundown on the process is this youtube video:

If you think my horsehead is impressive have a gander at what horsehead looks like through the Hubble. The detail it captures is amazing

Last edited by Tdale; 04-28-2015 at 08:27 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Looks around waiting for Sheldon and Leonard to walk in at anytime
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Before my first foot surgery, I rode and modified ATVs. I would convert them into true, all terrain vehicles. Here is my first one that I built and rode;

This was a 2002 Suzuki Ozark 250cc quad. It was lighter and a lot smaller than the quads that other guys had that I would ride with which made it easy to get unstuck. Here are a couple of pictures of it in action;

I rode it into this hole, then turned around and rode it out.

This is the last one that I built. 1991 Honda Fourtrax 300 4X4.

The tires were 27" Super Swamper TSLs that actually measured 29" tall;

Pretty good ground clearance too.......
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

@Tdale,

I built the 8" to use for experimentation. There were a number of construction techniques I wanted to work out, before doing the 25. Experimenting on an 8" is FAR less expensive, if the experiment goes horribly wrong. The first Problem I am working out is how to permanently mount the primary reflector to the spider and the tailgate box. It has to allow for expansion. This eliminates the possibility of the mirror spilling out if the box gets inverted, or the mirror rattling around loose when you are transporting the scope to a mountain top. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The construction for an 8" Dobsonian is pretty straight forward. Everything is light and easily manipulated. Suppliers were my biggest challenge. I ended up having to manufacture the end caps for the aluminum poles and the mounting brackets. I couldn't find anyone who carried anything that would work.

Creating the bearings and making them look good has been another challenge. My scope is looking more and more like a Renegade.
    The mirror box I built looks nice, but it doesn't leave the primary mirror exposed. The bearing surfaces are very close to theirs. My next challenge is to install a motor mount for the scope. Unnecessary for an 8", but the goal is to use it with a 25". I am trying to keep the construction to a minimum so I looked at the designs of the Obsession telescopes as well. I like the top ring they use. Very minimalist.

Making the motor mount computer controlled, so it will track objects, is another issue, and I will be applying for patents and copyrights by that time. Astrophotography will be the final challenge, but I already have a good idea on how to solve that problem, which I hope will adapt to large apperature applications.

I was looking at your photos, and your first set was from an earth based cassegrain, but the last image looked like a Hubble image or a very large mirror earth based Dobsonian, because of the 4 vane refraction patterns on the stars. Is that right?

I also make beer and distill essential oils for my wife. I put the same care and engineering in to those hobbies as well.
    "...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." R. Reagan

I've never done AP with large aperture telescopes, I imagine it would really cut down on imaging time at f3.

The first set of 3 pics are from an AT65EDQ http://telescopes.net/store/astro-te...refractor.html which is a Apochromatic Refractor

The last pic I posted is from the HST....not mine lol...just posting for a comparison. HST images are simply amazing
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by oh_so_primal View Post
    Bowyery. fletching, and playing Counter Strike are my non-prep hobbies.
    😶
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I enjoy:
    reading
    sewing
    sleeping
    any and all sci-fi
    I like to decorate and up sale household Items

my greatest hobby is finding new ways to embarrass my kids in public.
    Not sure you would call that a hobby.
    I can't tell you what kind of gun it is.Daddy taught me a dead man can't testify. Wanna test my Aim.

I play guitar, build and repair them also.