Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has a non prepping related hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    I like kicking dead things on a beach and long walks through liquor stores.
    Always a romantic in the crowd...
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I have a hobby that could be considered completely unrelated to prepping...Astrophotography

I enjoy seeing what kind of images I can get on DSOs

Here are a few of my favorite DSO images taken with an AT65EDQ telescope, a modified Canon T3, and a ZEQ25GT Polar mount

Last edited by Tdale; 04-27-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TDale, those are awesome.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

My wife wants a telescope......any recommendations Tdale?

Joe - NY

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    My wife wants a telescope......any recommendations Tdale?

Joe - NY
    That really depends on how much you want to spend and how the telescope will be used. Regular visual viewing is rather different from Astrophotography

Without knowing your budget or intended use, I'd probably guess she wants a telescope for visual viewing. If so I'd probably start off with something like the $450 Celestron NexStar 4 SE http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-NexS.../dp/B000GUFOBO It's simple to allign and the computerized go-to function makes it easy to find and track objects of interest. They can usually be found used for under $300. They also have 5", 6" and 8" models that go up to $1k. obviously the 8" would be able to gather more light and have a higher maximum magnification. The Celestron NexStar telescopes are great for visual observation, but I have no idea how well they would work for Astrophotography.

For Astrophotography it's hard to beat (or sometimes find) the $600 AT65EDQ http://telescopes.net/store/astro-te...refractor.html (they are almost always sold out), Another Great option is the Orion ED80T CF http://www.telescope.com/Orion-ED80T...e/p/101422.uts but it lacks a field flattener, I considered buying the ED80T CF but then I was finally able to find an AT65EDQ a few years ago and never looked back

Be careful though, Astrophotography is yet another expensive hobby.
    Last edited by Tdale; 04-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    That really depends on how much you want to spend and how the telescope will be used. Regular visual viewing is rather different from Astrophotography
    Regular viewing. Sorry, I should have been clearer, $450'ish is perfect. Thanks.

Joe - NY

DUDE!!!!!
    Those pics are wonderful!
    I just finished making an 8" f6 Dobsonian for experimentation. I am working out how to make a motorized x-y mount for long exposures. I have the problem with countering rotation solved and I am doing the math and programing to handle the polar coordinate conversions to x-y, so tracking an object is done by a computer controlled motors. Patents pending on software and hardware.

Once I get the kinks worked out. I am going to install it on my 25" f3 and see what I can see.

Your pictures have inspired a couple more all-nighters in my workshop. Good bye world (for a while)
    Last edited by GR82BPREPD; 04-27-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    "...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." R. Reagan

Wow! a 25" f3 did you build that one as well?

I've sometimes thought about building a nice Dobsonian or Newtonian. How hard was your 8" Dobsonian to build?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    I like kicking dead things on a beach and long walks through liquor stores.
    L'dmao!! Paintball and jet skiing are my 2 non-prep favorites.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    I have a hobby that could be considered completely unrelated to prepping...Astrophotography
    These pics are absolutely incredible T!! And YES I see an alien or 2 in them all.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!