Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheese storage

Winni,
    Not a stupid question at all. Consider that cheese is a fermented food, and that fermantation continues as the cheese ages. It is not necessary to acidify cheeses. They are full of bacteria and mold that work together to make the cheese. They also make an environment that is not kind to invading micro organisms. There is an asterisk on that, which is the rind of the cheese. A battle of sorts goes on there. I rub balsamic vinegar on the surface of the cheese, which must work, because I have not seen any mould or discoloration on my cheeses. My grandfather who made cheese, turned me on to that trick.

I cracked open a two year old wheel of parmesian cheese, and it almost evaporated. Everyone seemed to sprout knives and were chipping away at it. Bottom line. *I* can't store cheese beyond 2 years. At least until I can put a biometric scanner on the door to the cheese cave.
    "...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." R. Reagan

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking...house-cheddar/

This is the link to the cheese in my experiment. I have also made another batch with coloring, calcium chloride etc that more resembles a tradional cheddar, but without the long "cheddaring" process. I'm waxing that in the am and will leave it for long term.

GR8,
    I see balsamic vinegar on my next batch of "survival cheese". Would you wax over it?

swiss cheese has holes, so the more swiss cheese you have the more holes you have, the more holes you have the less swiss cheese you have. so the more swiss cheese you have the less swiss cheese you have
    -glockula

@drift, you are making my head hurt. Stop that!

@cheesemaker, I haven't waxed any of my cheeses. If there is a problem, the wax will hide it for a long time. Storing the cheese without wax could lead to undisirable mould, flavors, all sorts of things, so like anything, there is a trade off. Early warning, vs potential longevity.
    "...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." R. Reagan

I would think if you cure the cheese to form a nice dry outer shell part before waxing, that would keep it from forming mould wouldn't it? Food needs moisture and air to form mould. This I do know, but isn't it the same with cheese?
    All I've ever made is soft cheese so I'm just stating a theory of my own.
    I've purchased lots of fresh homemade hard cheese but I have always dehydrated it.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.