Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Travel Trailer Electrical Upgrade

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say the whole trailer was rotted! Lol I do have to say though good job by looking at work pics.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post

Got a link to these?
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
    Got a link to these?
    Ulincos Latching Pushbutton Switch U16F2 1NO1NC SPDT ON/OFF Silver Stainless Steel Shell with Blue LED Ring Suitable for 16mm 5/8" Mounting Hole

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits socket

https://www.amazon.com/Pigtail-Conne...EBTBV4T7JYVV5Q

They come in different colors and a larger size... also I think a momentary contact variety... double check all fine print and be sure you know what you are ordering.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Was thinking about adding a hard-start capacitor to the roof AC. I never have any trouble with the AC but if I can get it to operate off a single Honda 2kw generator that will improve fuel use and of course save some wear and tear. So I got up on the roof and took off the shroud which crumbled like eggshell under my touch. Ouch. A replacement will run me $250. Not sure what the displaced family of wasps will do for new digs though... fortunately neither they nor I were in the mood for a fight and an uneasy truce was maintained... for now.

I have actually had the AC start on a single generator a few times but only when relatively cool. Usually it will kick out the overload right away due to starting surge... a cap would provide a boost for that initial starting phase. The running current is rated 15 amps, so once started the generator should handle it fine without having to tandem the 2nd generator into the circuit.

The wiring is confusing and I am unsure where the hard-start kit would attach to the system. It is a Dometic SL135 series unit (13.5k BTU's) probably built in the mid 80's and has never given me any trouble at all and cools adequately... it can make the trailer comfortably cool on a 100 degree day.

Google got me a circuit diagram of the right model but i have to confess it's still not coming clear to me which wire is which... i might need a bit of guidance on this one.
    Last edited by bruss01; 06-04-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

My brother was talking about adding a capacitor to his roof A/C as well for a similar reason. He wants to run his R/V Off of his solar setup and he would need a larger power inverter to run it. From what I know, he has not gotten beyond where you are at either. Unlike your RV, my brother's RV is brand new so I guess this problem is still a common problem.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

It should have one already, that you can increase the size. If not then I'm not sure.......... a retrofit may give problems being not designed for one. Limited knowledge here, just thinking out loud. Have you googled or u tube there's some slick people out there that redneck engineer some amazing stuff.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

UUUmmm, I'm assuming we are talking an AC (that is alternating current vs air conditioning, lol) compressor, not one running on DC?

Never heard of a hard start kit ?

As far as changing the size of the starting cap on an AC motor, no good. The AC motor has a start winding, which is out of phase with the running coil. The starting cap is in series with the start winding, and the size of the cap is matched with the inductance of the start coil at the frequency of the AC current (it's just really a LC circuit). So changing the cap (C) or the coil (L) will change the phase relationship and make starting harder. Now, maybe someone put in the wrong size cap? That you would have to check on the schematic.

Sometimes bigger isn't better
    Last edited by Winni; 06-12-2017 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Here is a wild idea, out of left field. Doing my dishes, with nothing else to think about and:

http://greenelectricitysaver.com/faq.htm

No guarantees from me, but if it does what they are saying, it should make a difference.
    Last edited by Winni; 06-12-2017 at 04:21 AM. Reason: cat walked across keyboard

Winni

A "hard start" kit is also known as a "soft start" kit... they are for use with electric appliances that have a high momentary load upon startup. It is basically just a high value capacitor in The system to help provide that momentary boost. I am not 100% sure how they work but they can supplement or replace original factofy capacitors... they have a pretty solid reputation when installed properly with reasonable expectations.