Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Travel Trailer Electrical Upgrade

After another overnight soak and wire brushing, here's what the worst rusted part looks like:

Some of the pits/pores are clean all the way to the bottom. But you can still see a lot that have rust in the bottom. It's back in the solution again now. Thinking of trying something new... Krud Kutter "Must for Rust" is the product I"m pondering next. It's harsher than the oxalic acid so I need to be sure I won't get interrupted when using it.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

No offense, I'm sure you're enjoying this endeavor, but unless you're going for full authentic restoration, out seems to be more practical to just make or have made the part.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

We're getting there, Flock - painfully slow, but we're getting there. "Enjoying" is probably the wrong word - "compulsion" is more like it.

Time in the tank is time I can spend doing other things. You'd have to see these pieces to appreciate... you could make a rough approximation pretty easy, but it would never look right. Making an exact replacement is outside my skill and tool capability. Having it made, with the labor involved - $kaching$. This piece is actually structurally pretty solid. I just want to make sure it stays that way after being repainted, rather than just covering up the problem. Once I get these pits cleaned out, it'll be smooth sailing from there. I hope and pray. It was never painted "right" at the factory to begin with... which makes it a problem for me, now. I don't want to create a problem for myself or a future owner down the road... trying to do it right this time.

Other concern is, it may not be mission critical this time... but if it were, would I know how to do it? or would I have to be learning this on a "failure unacceptable" situation? I'd rather learn it now than when I'm under the gun on something where it really counts. Even if what is meant by "counts" is not a life or death matter.

ETA: Another 24 hours in the tank... more progress. Looking better except in a few deep spots. Maybe by Sunday I'll have the last of those pits cleared. Wire brushing every 24 hours seems to be helping. If I had tried to sand or grind it all out it would have removed a lot of metal in the process... too much, would have ruined the piece. This way is slower, but it's getting the job done without destroying the piece. Sometimes patience is a virtue even though we want to rush ahead and " git 'er dun!"
    Last edited by bruss01; 04-21-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.