Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What about just living in an RV?

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    You have got to make this your sigline!!!!LOL
    nah phuck him ..just j/k alaska ...but seriously fu*k you.. Sleestaks ,seriously Aw was being honest. Your askin ??'s your gonna get screwed with. But youll actually get answers that you'll learn from & send ya in the correct direction.check out utube sigma 3 , Or ask your daddy TxSkeeter.

Lol
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Exactly.
    You asked a question and got legitimate responses
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

A few years ago we moved from a deteriorating area (crime, racial violence) and lived in a 23 foot travel trailer in the woods. We had a notch cut in to a fairly steep hillside and parked the trailer up against the bank. Couldn't really see it from the county road. At the time we had electricity available so we heated it with two 1500 watt heaters going night and day in the montana winter. Lot's of heat....like if you had a small wood stove you would have to sit by the stove feeding fuel to it day and night. The insulation was a little better than our TiPi.
    I dug in a underground "room" on the property and it stayed 41 degrees even when it was sub zero outside. A camper might keep the rain off your stuff and be OK in summer where it isn't too hot or muggy but anything metal ends up being a target in back country montana right now so what chance would a light colored or white rv have if things got rough?

That being said I have a slide in camper and a old motorhome that I consider a "montana storage unit" right now. Maybe driveable in a pinch but they are already positioned where I want them at the moment.

Suppositions might sound good around the campfire with a few beers but go out there and live it if you want to know what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
    A few years ago we moved from a deteriorating area (crime, racial violence) and lived in a 23 foot travel trailer in the woods. We had a notch cut in to a fairly steep hillside and parked the trailer up against the bank. Couldn't really see it from the county road. At the time we had electricity available so we heated it with two 1500 watt heaters going night and day in the montana winter. Lot's of heat....like if you had a small wood stove you would have to sit by the stove feeding fuel to it day and night. The insulation was a little better than our TiPi.
    I dug in a underground "room" on the property and it stayed 41 degrees even when it was sub zero outside. A camper might keep the rain off your stuff and be OK in summer where it isn't too hot or muggy but anything metal ends up being a target in back country montana right now so what chance would a light colored or white rv have if things got rough?

That being said I have a slide in camper and a old motorhome that I consider a "montana storage unit" right now. Maybe driveable in a pinch but they are already positioned where I want them at the moment.

Suppositions might sound good around the campfire with a few beers but go out there and live it if you want to know what works.
    that sounds like a nice idea& main queztion , would you trade that for "modern" rvs? To me that sounds like valhalla, but thats just me.

Hmmm, I wonder what's for DINNER?

Quote Originally Posted by wnn View Post
    nah phuck him ..just j/k alaska ...but seriously fu*k you.. Sleestaks ,seriously Aw was being honest. Your askin ??'s your gonna get screwed with. But youll actually get answers that you'll learn from & send ya in the correct direction.check out utube sigma 3 , Or ask your daddy TxSkeeter.
    Mama Luigi!

I just bought my aunt's 1996 31ft Hi-Lo which I'm going to set up as my B.O.S.

"If we get fallout in this area that camper is going to be about as much protection as a silk nightie".
    - Ray Milland, Panic in the Year Zero (1962)

A camper, travel trailer or RV is not where I'd want to try to shelter from a nuclear war or Mad-Max situation.

However I can see having a mobile temporary shelter as being a good bridge between stable state A (your everyday life, here and now) and stable state B (your new "normal" wherever and whatever that happens to be), should some kind of SHTF come along that makes the first, untenable, and the second, the only reasonable alternative.

The website "Listening to Katrina" has some interesting thoughts on the subject. You do have to think it through to a much more thorough degree than just going on a camping trip though. Yes, there are down sides as well as advantages. I haven't found any bug out plan yet that fit every conceivable circumstance that didn't have holes that could be poked in it. Well, you might have to get by with plan with a few holes, it's not a perfect universe and none of us are perfect people.

I know that if I have the option of sleeping indoors, cooking on a stove, and using a flush toilet while we are in the process of making the transition from A to B, that sounds a lot better than crawling through the mud and sleeping under the open sky in the rain, snow or Oobleck, whatever that may be. I can carry a lot more gear and take better care of my entourage in an actual shelter of some kind, and how much better if it can be moved from a place of trouble to a place of relative stability?

Most of us should recognize that a trailer or RV will be perceived by locals much differently than an improvised lean-to "hobo" camp of homeless person's wandering through (their perception). An RV parked on the street someplace, doesn't raise nearly the alarm bells that having a group of people living under a tarp in the park, does. Folks will probably be inclined to tolerate the RV for a night or two. The hobo camp - that raises some eyebrows right out of the gate. Unless we are talking truly "global apocalypse" where there is no order or infrastructure of any kind. If it gets to that particular point, I think things are going to be so vastly different that we really aren't equipped to be able to predict what will fly and what won't. At that point it becomes law of Fang and Club as Jack London put it... the biggest baddest and most ruthless groups will survive and others, simply won't.

Wife and I were watching a PBS show last night about the lost expedition to find the Northwest Passage (sea route through the arctic ocean from Atlantic to Pacific). The ships were locked in Arctic ice for two years before the crew bailed and started to hoof it south. After the supplies ran out they did what humans invariably do - turn to the dead for sustenance. I hear people on "survival" sites frequently say "I wouldn't do that" and on the one hand, it's nice to know that so many people have a no-can-do attitude about canibalism. But the bitter truth that we are loathe to accept is that this is something human beings invariably resort to when there is no other alternative. The Neaderthals did it, the Donner Party did it, the Northwest Passage explorers did it, the passengers & crew of the airplane that went down in the Andes did it. What bothers me is, people live in denial of this when it comes to themselves and others. Civilization is a thin veneer over the top of the world's most ruthless and capable predator - man. Underneath that veneer is a machine with the instinct to survive and perpetuate it's life and it's possibility of someday procreating and keeping the species from dying out. There may once have been some hominids that lacked that absolute mandate in their instincts... where are they today? Extinct. Our very existence is proof of either some amazing coincidence that we somehow "got lucky" where others of our ilk didn't, or that we really are the most fearsome creatures to ever roam this globe. Human kindness and generosity are all the more precious and amazing when you realize that they too can spring from the bosom of such a savage breast. As long as we can eat, and shelter ourselves, and have our basic needs met, we have great potential for good. But take those things away, and utter savagery is what we are reduced to in fairly short order.

Sorry, whew, that last paragraph was a bit of a bleak downer. The point I was trying to get to was that when you start considering conditions where people don't know what to expect from themselves, all bets are off. I suppose if it ever gets that bad, it will be a rude awakening for most folks what they are truly capable of. Whether you're in a bunker, or a camper, or just sleeping out under the stars. I hope none of us here are really afraid of dying because that day comes, going to be a lot of that going on.

I've got a camper trailer and it's ok for a temporary shelter. I lived in it "dry camping" for 3 weeks and was perfectly comfortable. Of course I had a nearby supply of water to replenish my supply, a place to dump tanks when necessary, and liveable temps the entire time. It's not the subterranean bunker in the boondocks I covet. But it's what I can manage, here and now, until that day comes when I can realize my dream of much improved circumstances. And I can have a bit of enjoyment from it in the meantime. Sounds like a good deal to me.
    Last edited by bruss01; 09-28-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Good post bruss I agree totally...
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!