Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roads are melting in Yellowstone

Ummm... I am no expert on roads, but doesn't tar melt at really high temperatures? Over 700 F? Looking at that picture, you can see living plants on both sides of that melted spot. It would seem to me like the geology in that area, would transmit heat much better. so the "spot" would bet quite large, killing or even burning the plant life around the road.

Just a thought.
    "You can't get rich in politics, unless you are a crook." H.S.Truman

Default Roads are melting in Yellowstone

I say we repave it with the bodies of politicians
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    I can accept the earth throwing us curve balls, or even taking us out, its the politicians doing the same thing slowly that pisses me off.
    YES. What you said.
    When a Southern girl says, "Aw, hell no!" -- RUN.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    I say we repave it with the bodies of politicians
    Best political action plan I've heard in a while
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Default Roads are melting in Yellowstone

I'm here all week
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Quote Originally Posted by GR82BPREPD View Post
    Ummm... I am no expert on roads, but doesn't tar melt at really high temperatures? Over 700 F? Looking at that picture, you can see living plants on both sides of that melted spot. It would seem to me like the geology in that area, would transmit heat much better. so the "spot" would bet quite large, killing or even burning the plant life around the road.

Just a thought.

Asphalt binder is a handy material in that it flows nicely when it is heated to around 250 degrees F, but is relatively solid at room temperatures. The hot liquid is mixed with pre- heated sand and stone, then delivered to the paving site promptly. The hot mixture is spread and compacted before it cools. When it does cool, it creates a "viscoelastic" material. That is, it acts kind of like a liquid and kind of like a solid depending on the rate of loading. The hotter it is, the more liquid-like it gets.

So, it really does not have a melting point like, say, ice has, but it does soften considerably as the temperature increases. To give you a feel for relative temperature, hot mix is generally delivered at roughly 300 degree F.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/eng99259.htm

300 degrees is a LONG way away from 700. Soil is also a pretty good insulator as it is, for the most part, pretty loose so there are a lot of air pockets in the soil which help to insulate. However, when they build roads, they put down many layers of compacted rock and dirt so there's not nearly as many air pockets. This makes the ground right under neath the road able to transfer the heat MUCH better than the surrounding soil.
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 07-19-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by GR82BPREPD View Post

Just a thought.
    The road is sitting on top of a small vent. happens all the time. This one just made the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    The road is sitting on top of a small vent. happens all the time. This one just made the news.

According to the article, it does not happen all the time and it is VERY unusual. It is normal for roads to be closed, but not because they are melting.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Asphalt will still move/be softer at 180-200F. The Dump truck bodies are kept heated (somewhat) via the Exhaust pipes on the engine that couple to the channels inside the Dump Body and usually a Thermal Blanket is rolled over the top of the Load to hold the heat in.

The Spreader box (square looking w/ tracks) puts the layers down on the Roads while being fed by the Dump Trailers) then a Big 10+ ton Roller packs it down. It also has Flame Jets heating the Roads so it will bind to it. (this job sucks when it's really Hot out lol)

Live Steam is used to heat the "Tankers" carrying the raw Tar going to the Plant and it needs to be heated constantly to move it out of the Trailer and then they mix it w/ the Rock/Gravel for the final product.

That Hot Liquid Tar in the Tanker has 2-3 hrs. to make it to the Plant or it takes a long time to re-heat it to off load. That's the reason they don't re-pave roads in the winter.

I drove one of those many yrs. back, 1st hand experience.

Bottom line, Ground temps over 200F will do what's happening and don't expect the Guberment to tell the truth...

HTH