Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big sun spot turning towards us

How bout that asteriod, which they havent recieved new data on since 2003 that going to come really close, something the russians were propagating. Something about bye, bye east coast. No attention since michelles trip to china is more important.

Well, here we go again. There is a massive sun spot now on our side of the sun. It is sun spot AR2192. It has already sent out a few M class flares, and even a small X class flare, though none of them were Earth directed, yet.

http://www.spaceweather.com/
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Our luck emp,ebola. Good mix.we pissed someone upstairs off.

During the past 48 hours, monster sunspot AR2192 has unleashed seven M-class solar flares. The most powerful of the bunch (Oct 22nd at 0159 UT) was an M9-class eruption that almost crossed the threshold into X-territory.

http://spaceweather.com

This sun spot is the size of Jupiter!!! It is HUGE!

I wonder if the Moon Eclipse could block a big flare??

from spaceweather.com
    PARTIAL SOLAR ECLIPSE: On Thursday, Oct. 23rd, the Moon will pass in front of the sun, off center, producing a partial solar eclipse visible from almost all of North America. The action begins at approximatey 2 pm PDT. Get the full story from Science@NASA.

I don't think it would block it completely, as when a CME is sent out, it covers a MASSIVE area. An area that is multiple times bigger than the Earth. However, it could potentially shield us a SLIGHT amount from any side effects of a CME impact on Earth.

I realize the dynamics of it, and they only travel faster if it's a major Flare like an X10, but if it were to happen, "some" shielding would be nice from a Major CME/X Flares.

I think my Wind Generator could take a Major Flare hit w/o protection since the Windings inside are at least 10-12 Gauge solid wire and the casing is just a housing for big rectangle Magnets. No brushes etc. and the Slip Ring (like Gas stations use for the Spinning Signs) is also heavy duty w/ 10 Ga. wire, rated @ 100+ Amps. The Rectifier would have to come off and go into the Faraday cage.

Suggestions for protecting the Solar Panels?

Just threw out an X-1

X-ray Solar Flares
    6-hr max: X1 1428 UT Oct22
    24-hr: X1 1428 UT Oct22
    explanation | more data
    Updated: Today at: 1500 UT

Well, the speed of a CME is independent of the strength of the flare. Typically, the higher the flare rating the faster it goes, but there are times when an X flare may not produce a CME (like the one that occured a couple of days ago).

As far as how do you protect solar panels from a CME, well, a CME and an EMP act differently but similar at the same time. A CME has a very long wave, so it needs an antenna to pick it up while an EMP has a very short wave so it effects just about everything. So, as long as the wires coming off of the wind mill and solar panels aren't really long then I doubt you'll have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
    I realize the dynamics of it, and they only travel faster if it's a major Flare like an X10, but if it were to happen, "some" shielding would be nice from a Major CME/X Flares.

I think my Wind Generator could take a Major Flare hit w/o protection since the Windings inside are at least 10-12 Gauge solid wire and the casing is just a housing for big rectangle Magnets. No brushes etc. and the Slip Ring (like Gas stations use for the Spinning Signs) is also heavy duty w/ 10 Ga. wire, rated @ 100+ Amps. The Rectifier would have to come off and go into the Faraday cage.

Suggestions for protecting the Solar Panels?
    Same thing as the rectifier for the panels and charge controller.