Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Power Plus - Something different?

Default Pocket Power Plus - Something different?

I was working overnight last night and got to listen to the radio... something i have not had the chance to do in a long time.

I heard a commercial for a product called Pocket Power Plus. its a pocket size portable power device that (according to the website and video) can run a laptop, power your ipod, and even jumpstart a bus.

i was wondering if anyone has seen this and has tried it.... looks like it is powerful enough to handle a preppers needs...

http://pocketpowerplus.com/

I have no experience, but I try to stay away from websites that look like printout scams.

Website says it can jumpstart a bus and fit in your pocket. Im not putting anything in my damn pocket that can jumpstart a bus.
    I still hate commies, even after they changed their name to liberals...

Pocket nucs would b sweet

Very similar to this $25 unit from Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/50000mAh-Bac...item3387b4b99d

I'm sure in a search you could find better ones that are way less than the $115 for the Pocket Power Plus

Yep, Look for the Anker version.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Hey guys,

I bought one of these and I'm very impressed with it. I charged it up and have used it to charge an ipad and ipod and it works great. I have not had to recharge it yet and it has been several months. I'm currently testing it to see how long I can go, while using it occasionally, without recharging the unit.

Sorry, I don't have a bus, so can't speak to that issue.

I'm sold on this device, and suggest people get it while it's still at a low price.

I hear that it was a hit at this years CES tech show in Las Vegas! Solutions from Science is selling this and is even asking for investors to help them produce more, as the demand is there!

fyi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrlzmHwPllw
    http://pocketpowerplus.com/
    Last edited by joprep; 01-17-2014 at 07:39 AM.

The pocket power plus is a simple 10,000mAh (10Ah) battery with a 12V port and a 5V port.

You can get something similar on Amazon for $42 that has the same specs http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000m...2+v+5v+battery or an Anker 15,000mAh battery for $49 if you don't want/need the 12v port http://www.amazon.com/15000mAh-Porta...ef=pd_cp_cps_0

Most LiPo batteries can output 20C, that means a little 10Ah battery can output 200 Amps for a very short period.

The only way the "Pocket Power Plus" can start a car is if it does not feature a current limiter, which is a major safety issue with a LiPo battery you carry around in your pocket. So while it might be capable of starting a motorcycle or car, I would not recommend doing so with such a device because all those amps going through such small wires could easily cause a short, and that is asking for trouble with a LiPo.

At least the batteries sold on amazon have current limiters to make them a little more safe. If the LiPo develops a short you are carrying around an incendiary device. Look on YouTube at what happens to a shorted LiPo. I certainly would not want a non current limited LiPo in my pocket.

Last edited by Tdale; 01-17-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Tdale

Sounds like you know something about this technology.

This is what they say about their product:

"All of the Pocket Power Plus connections are reverse-polarity protected and the automatic charge control will not allow it to over charge or over discharge. Further, the battery is fuse protected from over-current (is this the same as current limiter?). It's a Polymer Lithium-Ion battery."

Can you compare this to what you said above, and explain further? I'm not an electrical expert like yourself.

Further, I don't plan to use this to start a vehicle! I think that is a reach and not necessary. I use it just for recharging small devices, as mentioned, and love it for that purpose!

I do appreciate your knowledge and warning, however. Very important!

Polymer lithium is the same as LiPo (lithium polymer) , just another way of saying the same thing.

A car starter pulls a lot of amperage which is why jumper cables are thick.

Trying to jump start a car with a battery using thin wires is asking for trouble because a thin wire can only handle a certain amount of amperage safety.

All wire has resistance, the thinner the wire the higher the resistance.

Resistance causes heat.

Too many amps on a thin wire with a high resistance will cause excessive heat, and can potentially cause the wire to melt the insulation causing a short. This can occur before the fuse.

This can then cause a LiPo battery to become an improvised incendiary device.

The batteries on Amazon like the Anker, while being 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the expensive pocket power plus battery, are current limited to 2 or 3 amps which is low enough to prevent too much heat buildup with small wires, 2 Amps at 5 volts is only 10 watts, even at 3 amps it's current limited to a total of 15 watts, you are not going to start a car on 10 to 15 watts, but at least it's safe.

--------------------------
    Edit:

Since you have the Pocket Power Plus can you let us know the AWG size of the jumper cable wire part and also tell us how it connects to the battery i.e. is it a standard 2.5mm x 5.5mm DC port?
    Last edited by Tdale; 01-17-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us!!!!!!!!!!!