Thread: Rice and Bean storage

Default Rice and Bean storage

Me and my wife just stored 14 2 liter bottles of rice and 6 2 liter bottles of beans,and I forgot to freeze them ahead of time. My question is does anyone think I could have a bug or some other critter problem in the future?

Bug=protein! Haha in all seriousness how'd you seal them, dump em in screw on the cap? Oxygen absorbers or dry ice to oxygen flush?

I just hate to read where people spent their time bottling up food .... ok for handy storage but it's just not for LTS (long term storage) ..... somebody with no idea about the actual nuts & bolts of LTS came up with the idea .... the bottle provides no more air infiltration protection than a factory/retail shelf poly bag ..... for good LTS of food follow the professional food packers ..... you don't see liter bottles of food for sale .... you also don't see them sending out bare mylar bags of food ..... for maximum LTS longevity you need to follow their 25+ years of experience .... it's a food grade bucket/gasketed lid - 02 absorbers - mylar bags ..... you cut corners - you cut your storage

Aside from the proper way to store rice and beans, are you suppose to freeze them before storage? If so, for how long?

Thumbs up Rice abd bean storage

Quote Originally Posted by Eli-2 View Post
    Me and my wife just stored 14 2 liter bottles of rice and 6 2 liter bottles of beans,and I forgot to freeze them ahead of time. My question is does anyone think I could have a bug or some other critter problem in the future?
    Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.But,I think I'm gonna stick it out with the 2liter bottles,after reading a couple articles including this one that was interesting. Thanks again

http://ndfs.byu.edu/Portals/9/docs/r...per.091910.pdf
    Last edited by Eli-2; 03-29-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: forgot to post link

g

ppffffttt........bull**** illiwarrior.....we've been storin' rice, beans and popcorn fer about 25 years the same ol' way.....1 gal. wine jugs filled to the top and put the damn lid on......we've only had 1 go bad on us and then all we did is ferment the beans and feed the chickinz with 'em....

...i guess a quarter of a century isn't long term storage....

of course, if ya live in a place like we do...ya'll don't have to worry about earthquakin' so glass works wonders.
    "I like ya........I'll kill ya last"

Glass bottles with a metal screw on cap would be an excellent oxygen barrier.

Even though most of our other food storage does involve oxygen absorbers, mylar heat-sealed bags, and protective outer barrier (bucket or poly container) - our beans and rice storage is just plain old 1 gallon ziploc freezer bags stashed in a poly container. I haven't opened one yet that was compromised or that failed to cook up just fine. Not saying we couldn't have a failure TOMORROW... but after 5 years I haven't found a problem yet.

Now, for things that have an oil content (such as brown rice) then I take care to heat-seal it in mylar with an O2 absorber otherwise the oil in it can rancidify. But plain old white rice has no such issue that I can tell. Plain old pinto beans seem to weather well too.
    The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.