Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One Second After, the book

Default One Second After, the book

I just finished reading William Forstchen's book, One Second After and it has really messed my head up. I realize that this book, to most of you, is old news. However, if anyone needs a refresher or a wake up call, I highly recommend it. However, be forwarned, it is POWERFUL and the message has struck me to the heart.

I thought I was informed and getting prepared, but that stuff just shocked me. I guess I should have known, but, but, but,...well, let's just say, now I'm really motivated.

Yeah, I read it about a year ago. It can cause a bit of "systemic" shock. I think it should be required reading in High School, but we know that the "pied pipers" (teachers) aren't going to let that happen. They prefer that the lemmings (students) continue to march into the sea of ignorance.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

It really does get the ol' prepping juices flowing.... Go on You Tube and there are a few interviews with WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

It is a good book and having read it, it did open my eyes in a way.
    In all fairness, experts don't all agree about just how easily such an attack could be brought off.
    There are those who dispute Forstchen's scenario. Don't take this for criticism of the book by me; I certainly don't have the expertise to know.
    The book should probably be best taken as a warning about what happens when the infrastructure we all depend upon breaks down. Remember what happened in the book in hospitals and other places where helpless people depended on electricity to keep them alive, or regular delivery of drugs. IIRC the main character's daughter was such a person, who needed insulin or some other regularly injected drug.
    And the warning about the predatory nature of humanity was also well stated.

Such an event may or may not be precipitrated by an enemy attack. It could also be the result of a coronal mass ejection from our sun; a REALLY HUGE ejection, aimed square at earth, could fry a lot of electronics and cause grief for years.

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    It really does get the ol' prepping juices flowing.... Go on You Tube and there are a few interviews with WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN...
    It's a great read, should be mandatory for all preppers. Forstchen is a prolific writer, mostly military documentaries. He is a history prof at Montreat college which is the setting for the book. My son had him for history, said they guy never brought notes, just walked in and spoke. Answered pretty much any history question, amazing command of the facts.

I would also recommend "Lights Out" which is another great book about and EMP aftermath.

Yeah, good book. I actually got my wife to read it and it did open her eyes just a bit wider, every little bit helps I guess.

Joe-NY

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    It's a great read, should be mandatory for all preppers. Forstchen is a prolific writer, mostly military documentaries. He is a history prof at Montreat college which is the setting for the book. My son had him for history, said they guy never brought notes, just walked in and spoke. Answered pretty much any history question, amazing command of the facts.

I would also recommend "Lights Out" which is another great book about and EMP aftermath.
    No sh*t?? Montreat?? Man I used to go up there all the time when I was a kid. Lake BeeTree (or however it's spelled) I wonder if he gives any lectures in the WNC area? Might have to go look up more about his activities. Anyone have a copy they're willing to loan out? I wonder if that would be available in a regular public library?

found a link to this book as a pdf if your interested https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...42768644,d.dmg

Very good read, it was a very powerful piece of literature. Just finished Patriots, now reading Surivors. I like these books by Rawles BUT they tend to be on the preachy side. Don't get me wrong, I'm christian but I'm not a fan of people preaching things to me which I've already affirmed for myself...
    "The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf001 View Post
    Very good read, it was a very powerful piece of literature. Just finished Patriots, now reading Surivors. I like these books by Rawles BUT they tend to be on the preachy side. Don't get me wrong, I'm christian but I'm not a fan of people preaching things to me which I've already affirmed for myself...
    Patriots is great, really got me thinking back in 2008. Survivors not so much.
    Rawles is still to be commended as one of the pillars of our movement.

No sh*t?? Montreat?? Man I used to go up there all the time when I was a kid. Lake BeeTree (or however it's spelled) I wonder if he gives any lectures in the WNC area? Might have to go look up more about his activities. Anyone have a copy they're willing to loan out? I wonder if that would be available in a regular public library?
    I know that he spoke to a preparadness fair in Hickory I think a few months ago.