Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Second After, the book

Just finished it. I liked it. It is a real eye opener for the wave on wave pandemic it lays out. Very plausible.
    777 FGG

I think it may be a little over the top but what does it hurt to plan for the worst. Honestly it was the first piece of fiction I've picked up in years. I would say I only sat the book down once or twice. Definite ly recommended to anyone who hasn't read it. I liked patriots also but one second after flowed much better imho.
    Last edited by sog711; 02-26-2013 at 09:38 PM.

excellent read...I just finished it...again. This is like my third time reading it.

For those who might be tempted to say, "Naaah, that won't happen." I would point out two facts; 1) Iran about 5 years ago launched a missile off a freighter over the Caspian or Black Sea(Can never remember which one is near them) and when it exploded at apogee, U.S. gooberment laughed it's collective ass off at the camel jockeys who couldn't launch a missile right. Iran surprisingly didn't bluster; just released a statement saying, "Nope. Worked just the way we planned it."

2) Does anyone else remember that missile launched off the coast of L.A. just about a year ago?

I would say this particular scenario is much closer to reality than we'd like to think.
    "Never send a Glock to do a 1911's job."

Straycat,
    You are spot on, and I would add it really doesn't take a missile.
    Stick the thing in a rented old 727 cargo jet, file a flight plan to Cleveland and detonate over Philly at 40,000 feet. Probably take out everything from Boston to Norfolk.

In my mind, EMP is the worst possible disaster because all the people will be alive right after the event unlike a massive meteor hit or super volcano eruption and pandemics show themselves as they unfold. EMP is the only event that is sudden with almost no warning that has such devastating aftermath.

I've been saying One Second After is a great way to "start the conversation" with people who you're not sure are into prepping or not. Once they read it, they will be. I read it last year and even got Goodwife to read it. Afterward she was all-in for preps. She even read Lights Out which was almost as good, though a little less professionally written. No complaints. Both are should-reads.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--. . . ."

After posting the link for the pdf here I finally read the book and spent the next 3 days reading it in my spare time. The wife had never seen me devour a book like that before or seen a book impact me so powerfully other than the Bible so she had to read it as well. She is totally on board now with the whole prepping for the day it hits the fan. I would pass it along to as many people as you can, I have.

I've read it twice...just finished it again...yeah, it definately hits home

Quote Originally Posted by TruthBearer View Post
    After posting the link for the pdf here I finally read the book and spent the next 3 days reading it in my spare time. The wife had never seen me devour a book like that before or seen a book impact me so powerfully other than the Bible so she had to read it as well. She is totally on board now with the whole prepping for the day it hits the fan. I would pass it along to as many people as you can, I have.
    Truthbearer, thanks for posting that link to the PDF. I printed it up, and have been reading it bit by bit in "the library". Excellent read so far, with a special bent because it takes place in and around my hometown of Asheville.

Afetr seeing this thread I decided to buy the book . Read it in a night , then re-read it the next night .

Plausible and does make one take things into consideration that they had not thought of before , myself included .
    I was not designed to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.