Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Second After, the book

The movie. Currently in production
    http://www.onesecondafter.com/
    Ive got your lil buddy right here! Patiently waiting for my cheese to finish sliding off my cracker.

One Second After should be mandatory reading for any prepper. Lets forget the likelihood of EMP and consider electricity/fuel deprivation say, to limit travel or control the masses. I see the scenario as very plausible if the cause might vary. Loved Patriots although I can't afford to prep like they did, and have not read Survivors yet, although I gave a few copies for Christmas.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    No sh*t?? Montreat?? Man I used to go up there all the time when I was a kid. Lake BeeTree (or however it's spelled) I wonder if he gives any lectures in the WNC area? Might have to go look up more about his activities. Anyone have a copy they're willing to loan out? I wonder if that would be available in a regular public library?
    You can get it on Amazon and any library should have or be able to get a copy for you. The only thing I didn't like was the fact the main character knew all about EMP from his military days and yet when it happened he sat on his ass despite having one of the few working cars. DOOOH!
    "Never send a Glock to do a 1911's job."

Well, I thought I had a good handle on some of the impending threats, but that book shocked me in a major league way. This ain't a game and we ain't playin' around.

The impetus for each set of potential circumstances, such as EMP, are scary, of course, and the speed of which the break down of our society is debatable, but no one can deny the potential for catastrophy. OMG, I cried, and cheered, in a book! I agree that everyone should read this and agree that most won't. I know people who don't want to know the reality of a given situation, like ostriches or sheep, but the disaster that could create this mayhem is all around us.

I have resolved to "unplug." Not specifically because of this book, which has focused a spot light on my dependance on electricity and technology. My own dependance is not news to me, but I also have an increased awareness that I can use. As someone who is employed in the financial industry, I see lots of recommendations for strategic planning of retirement goals. The most telling piece that I found to date is the advice to "practice" being retired before you are forced into retirement. Get a feel for real life expenses by "living as if you're already retired." This is what I intend to do with what I've learned from this book. This idea is not new here either: "off grid" has been discussed and employed by many. I plan to employ the idea of "practicing to be off-grid." I'll start with turning off my computer and cell phone for a weekend. Once I'm comfortable with that, I'll drop the main breaker to the house for the weekend. Finally, move the the "cabin" for the weekend. Each step, a test of my preparedness as in "practicing." Of course, it's impossible to simulate or re-created circumstances that we can't predict, like some of those found in the book, but I will have tested my supplies and myself. Having lived it for a short time, may make it easier to test things for a longer period, say over a week of vacation. Ultimately, it would be impossible to be able to completely prepare for all contingencies, but having tested my "kit," I'll be more informed about how prepared I actually am...just my $.02 worth.

Thanks for the link!! I've never read it, its next in the que.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthBearer View Post
    found a link to this book as a pdf if you're interested https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...42768644,d.dmg
    777 FGG

Well, I thought I had a good handle on some of the impending threats, but that book shocked me in a major league way. This ain't a game and we ain't playin' around.

The impetus for each set of potential circumstances, such as EMP, are scary, of course, and the speed of which the break down of our society is debatable, but no one can deny the potential for catastrophy. OMG, I cried, and cheered, in a book! I agree that everyone should read this and agree that most won't. I know people who don't want to know the reality of a given situation, like ostriches or sheep, but the disaster that could create this mayhem is all around us.

I have resolved to "unplug." Not specifically because of this book, which has focused a spot light on my dependance on electricity and technology. My own dependance is not news to me, but I also have an increased awareness that I can use. As someone who is employed in the financial industry, I see lots of recommendations for strategic planning of retirement goals. The most telling piece that I found to date is the advice to "practice" being retired before you are forced into retirement. Get a feel for real life expenses by "living as if you're already retired." This is what I intend to do with what I've learned from this book. This idea is not new here either: "off grid" has been discussed and employed by many. I plan to employ the idea of "practicing to be off-grid." I'll start with turning off my computer and cell phone for a weekend. Once I'm comfortable with that, I'll drop the main breaker to the house for the weekend. Finally, move the the "cabin" for the weekend. Each step, a test of my preparedness as in "practicing." Of course, it's impossible to simulate or re-created circumstances that we can't predict, like some of those found in the book, but I will have tested my supplies and myself. Having lived it for a short time, may make it easier to test things for a longer period, say over a week of vacation. Ultimately, it would be impossible to be able to completely prepare for all contingencies, but having tested my "kit," I'll be more informed about how prepared I actually am...just my $.02 worth.
    bravo.

IMHO, few SHTF scenarios match the instantaneous world altering calamity that an EMP would be. Jeddi master you are if prep for that you do.

There are some folk that say it's poorly written and hard to read.

I liked it.

And now since my blood sugar is screwed up, it really makes a point to me.

I've read it a couple of years ago and it's one of the first SHTF books I've read. I thought it was pretty good, but I rather enjoy Jerry D. Young's short stories more.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers
    Voltaire

Wonder if it will be filmed in Black Mountain and the area? That is where part of "The Hunger Games" was filmed and know a couple of the extra's that was in the film.

I definitely need to read it. Good to know that they are making a film version as well. Thanks to all of you who answered my various questions.