Thread: American Frontiersman Magazine, Premier Issue

Default American Frontiersman Magazine, Premier Issue

So i was looking again for mother earth news at walmart, haven't seen it there in months now and my subscription ran out. But i did see this new magazine, 1st issue. It was $9.95 which seemed a bit pricey but when i thumbed through it i did not see a whole lot of advertisements so felt it was worth the purchase. I found an ebay auction so that you can look at the cover if you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Fro...vip=true&rt=nc
    I agree, push the button already. Let's get this party started!!!

Since you bought it do you feel it was money well spent? Any articles in particular that you feel you benefited from reading? Just curious & TIA.

I'd say for those just getting into prepping and/or are still new to it it would be a great buy. Mainly since the wife seems to be getting on-board i'm going to use it to encourage her a bit. The articles new to me (being the recipe for cattail pancakes) are:

Hide Tanning with Acorns
    Homemade Bear lure's
    Beer brewing recipes (haven't look at it yet)
    Guide to big game butchering
    Guide to build your own Kentucky Mussleloader
    Nice article on water well construction, just skimmed it and it a small pipe system you drive into the ground, not digging the really old fashion wells.

Then it has a lot of the basics, woodcraft, trapping, fire starting, bug-out bag building. Couple articles on medicine including one on snakebites.

Overall i think it was worth it just to have as a reference for a couple of the articles. Prime use for me will be it's help in getting the wife up to speed and more verification that i am in fact not insane. lol.

ok, i jumped to the bugout bag first. He along with the norms he put an "Crossman 1377 American Classic air pistol".

The air gun was quiet while delivering sufficient power and accuracy to take small game at more than 20 yards.
    <-- Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable to me. We have air rifles for this very reason, but I honestly had not considered an air pistol for a BOB. I am going to think it over, but my initial thought is that it makes absolute sense.

Given the list of things you said the magazine covers, makes me consider purchasing it. As you said, nice to have as a reference.

As soon as i mentioned air pistol to the wife she was like "I love shooting air pistols" ... so i think we are getting them within the next couple of weeks. Few videos on youtube for those who, like me, haven't used one to hunt with. here's a link to a set of vids on hunting with an air rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Canadian...?feature=watch

$15 for a single magazine ???????? .... I'm sure the same info is available in other magazines and a yearly subscription is cheaper ...

It was $9.95 here, and like i said, i would recommend it for those getting into prepping but not for most of us advanced preppers. Mainly i purchased it because my printer is down still and there were a few articles i wanted for reference.

I got mine only because I couldnt find a copy of backwoodsman on the stand, its ok i like the article about the ovens and the dugout and using acorns for tannin but the rest I had no need of.. yah its expensive.. but you know everything is going up now.