Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methane gas from your septic tank for home use

I guess you wouldn't have to worry about adding mercaptan to detect whether a pilot went out :O

Looks like it didn't take you 100 pigs to make that much methane either.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfracer View Post

I have personal experience with several large, "industrial" farm operations, to a letter they all say that methane digesters are, well, a load of $h!T. A few have invested money in them (7 figure investments!) for top of the line, no-expense-too-great type setups, they are all losing their shirts on the investment because they produce energy to a fraction of what the studies suggested. Apparently they also have massive maintenance upkeep fees after the first 5-7 years are up, the whole thing needs to be retooled at no small expense. A few farms got them for no other reason than PR - "to keep the hippies off our back" - they too say they are not a worthy investment. One operation in particular is now forced to BUY manure because his digester is sucking so much to make it marginally reasonable to keep in operation that he has none left to fertilize with. A few I know of (secondhand) have simply ceased operation of them and are essentially parting-out the whole setup.

Can't say anything about backyard/DIY operations, but it's hard to imagine they would scale downward efficiently.

My $.02
    |One Mind - Any Weapon|

^well that's good to know too even if it is bad news, I'd rather hear the truth.
    ...because without American there is no free world...you betcha!

I second that silver rat..

Paramilusmc, don't give up on the idea before you've read this article from Motherearthnews: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...z80mazraw.aspx and also this one: http://www.motherearthnews.com/renew...z81mjzraw.aspx
    Last edited by BunkerRat; 01-18-2013 at 04:06 AM.