Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Question on Rain Barrels

No rules against necro posting

I guess it depends on your AO. Here in Texas I just keep IBC tanks wrapped in black plastic next to the house. The sun in the day keep them warm enough to prevent freezing. If it's going to be an unusually cold night I have some rigid 1" 4X8 foam panels I can use to keep them from freezing

If you live in Alaska it will be a different story
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

This year I am draining mine so they don't crack. Hoping to have some extra $$ to put a solution in place soon. It can get cold on the east coast during winter.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    This year I am draining mine so they don't crack. Hoping to have some extra $$ to put a solution in place soon. It can get cold on the east coast during winter.
    So yours did crack? What were the conditions? How many days below freezing did it take and how and where did you have them stored? Oh and what solution you planning to put in place?

I used them to water my garden. Since they are resin I am not taking a chance on having them crack. This is my first winter with them and I am not taking any chances. Too dam expensive to experiment with. This is just short term here in NJ. I will be using them at my property next year and am thinking of burying them. I don't want to use any kind of device that requires electricity. Maybe I can find a barrel for free and experiment with that. Since they are only 50 gallon containers I would think they would freeze rather quickly. If I discover anything that works I will be sure to post it.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

As the previous post said 9" of head space should prevent bursting of the barrels. As far as water quality frozen water will still be water. If you live where the temps get really cold thawing a 55 ice cube will take a long time. I have a pile of clear juice bottles that can be frozen and will thaw out while I am waiting for the big barrels to thaw. Water is life.

There is no magic solution to this dilemma. Bury, or add an additional heat source. My solution is to leave my 55 gallon plastic drum empty, but suppliment with 10 to 20 cases of constantly rotated bottled store bought water.

Joe - NY