Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toilet Paper Project

Default Toilet Paper Project

Hope this is in the right section...

So this is a little thing I thought of recently. I wanted to "measure" the amount of TP I use every week. It would make it much easier to determine how long I can last on my storage. I encourage others to do the same and report back what you find. I know it's going to be different for everyone and that no rolls are created equal, but maybe we can learn something.

Also, how will canned foods and dry goods (beans and rice) play a roll in the amount of TP needed? Are they high in fiber?

I know some people may think it's a stupid idea but I disagree. Knowledge is power. You measure how much food you have stored, right? Same idea here..

just throwing it out there..
    People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Will you be taking your TP to work? That's one potential problem. Until a serious SHTF scenario presents itself, unless your always home now, you'll have to include public "usage" somehow in your equation. Sh!ty subject but one that would affect us all.

We have done exactly this.... Although not as scientific as I would like, I have started writing the date on certain products when we open them to gauge how long they are lasting. Others I just make a mental note. I have found that we use 2 bars of soap per week, 1.5-2 tubes of toothpaste a month and 3-4 rolls of TP per week. (Household of 5 adults). We have put up about 6-7 months of TP, 1.5yrs of toothpaste, and 1 year of soap. The "other" needs as far as cleanliness/sanitary we are about a years worth with a bunch of random toiletries tossed in. Good topic....
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Tp is hard to store in any real quanitie, it takes up a lot of space.

Id say your best bet is unscented generic baby wipes, there cold and wet, but if you lay one out to dry up a bit and use it as your last wipe itll feel a bit comfortable. Plus one wet wipe is the equivelant to a handfull of toilet paper when cleaning the aftermath of a beany meal. They store neat and easy, nice little sealed bricks, Id say a years supply of wet wipes will fit in the space of maybe 2 weeks of TP.

I remember reading an article in backpacker magazine about this topic from the standpoint of limiting effect on the environment, packing out etc. The author of the article noted that she (yea female writing about this topic) had harder bm's due to diet, chance in water consumption with increased perspiration and she would purposely hold as long as she could comfortably stand it. She noted her bm's were much dryer and did not have to use a lot of tp.

Liked the idea of generic baby wipes.

Also I see a lot of us going to the cloth method at some point. It also stores flatter than tp and will be one of the uses for clothing that has worn out.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

If your going to use the old cloth method, even just as an extreme long term solution, get a seperate means to wash and dry the cloths. Ive had one of those little hand crank wash machines for a long time (holds a pair of jeans and a shirt or 2) And honestly its this thought that is making me keep the little thing. The idea of using it to wash clothes for 5 people is absurd, its just to small, but for this idea, fill it full of rags, along with some detergent and spin the crank.

Oh in winter, with wet wipes try to warm them a bit first.

+ 1 on the wipes... We buy them by the case from costco. Have about a years worth of them as well.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Depends on how much taco bell I eat... We use lots of "Sh*t tickets" around here. Lol. I store about 2 months worth, also have several months of baby wipes (still have a kid in diapers) and lots of Kleenex as well as paper towels.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Just remember that Babywipes DO NO DEGRADE like TP does. So, if you plan on your septic system working for any length of time, babywipes need to be disposed of elsewhere. Same goes for your outhouse....unless you want to climb on into your septic system/outhouse with a shovel and spend a nice day digging it out by hand.... remember to wear your rad/chem suits with gasmasks... yer gonna need them.
    I shalt fear no evil, for I have the biggest gun in the valley.

they make bio degradable wipes bit pricey compared to standard ones though.
    I always figured Id just burn them in a barrel a few days later.