Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 20 Reasons to Keep Vinegar on Hand

I can think of two that haven't been mentioned:

1. Helping break up sediment in a cat's urinary tract. Put some apple cider vinegar in some wet food or soak it into his kibble. It fixed our cat who had a 90% blockage. Good to go 2 days later. To be fair he also had a muscle relaxer from the vet, but I doubt that did any good for him other than dope him up a bit...

2. Heartburn treatment: It turns out that some people get heartburn from TOO LITTLE stomach acid. Taking tums and other antacids just make it worse. My wife's doctor had her start drinking a very weak vinegar solution in the mornings and it really helped. It's to the point now where she doesn't need it at all, but her diet has changed drastically since then, but it did help at the time.

I can also attest to the fact that white vinegar WILL remove rust. I had a big box of old rusty gun parts that I put in a tub of vinegar. 48 hours later they were clean as a whistle.

I think it can be used to treat head lice, but you will need to reapply and you still need that special comb.

Joe-NY

Have started washing my face twice a day with white vinegar to keep the psoriasis under control...will report back in a month or so...also rinse your water bottles out with vinegar and they will stay fresh.

Follow up on vinegar from June...

Not only have I been washing my face once a day to keep the psoriasis under control...working very well by the way...for the last 3 months I have been drinking a half ounce twice a day of apple cider vineger. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes and my A1C was always 6.8-6.9 when I got it tested every 3 months...got my last test back last Friday and the A1C was down to 5.9....VERY GOOD! I plan on upping my intake to 1/2 ounce 3 times daily and also putting a case or 2 in storage. The stuff I am drinking is Apple Cider, 'organic', un-filtered...you could probably drink white vinegar and get the same results...I am not a doctor and this is not a recomendation..only what is working for me. Let it begin.

Does anyone have knowledge on using vinegar instead of chlorine to kill bacteria in water?

Quote Originally Posted by Guddaddy View Post
    Does anyone have knowledge on using vinegar instead of chlorine to kill bacteria in water?

This is using both vinegar and bleach - it is called acidified bleach - I see this being used in a SHTF situation - like a pandemic. This is in my SHTF library - along with the recipe - I've included the warnings - like too much acid (vinegar) will off gas and then it's toxic.

This is from the End Time Report website:

Disinfecting Exposed Surfaces

"...Area or surface disinfection can be accomplished by using an acidic bleach solution. For counter tops and exposed surface sterilization purposes, an acidic bleach solution can be applied with a sponge or towel, but be sure to wear latex gloves. If the acidic bleach solution is used in a plastic pressure garden sprayer for outside use, this solution would also sterilize driveways, vehicles, etc. Just remember this caustic solution should be cleaned off any exposed surfaces after 10 or 15 minutes by flushing repeatedly with water, as almost nothing is more prone to cause rusting on any metal surface than this oxidization solution. Soap may be used in the cleaning solution as a surfacent, but DO NOT use any product containing ammonia on or with a bleach solution, as the combination of bleach and ammonia create mustard gas

The following disinfecting solution was discovered by Norman Miner, a microbiologist and owner at MicroChem Laboratory in Fort Worth, Texas, specializing in germicidal chemistry. He and some scientists there were looking for something common that would kill bacillis anthracis and other assorted nasties. According to Miner, this solution kills bacillus subtilis, which is the most resistant of all bacillis spores -- even more so than anthrax. The solution wiped out b. subtilis within one minute. This was the wet spore test. They then ground up the b. subtilis and dried it. The solution killed all the spores within ten minutes. This solution supposedly kills everything from anthrax to Ebola to smallpox to anything else you can think of. The "trick" is the acidified bleach, which changes the normal pH of the HOCl and super-powers it.

The composition is:

1 cup (8 oz) bleach

1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) water

1 1/2 cups 5% vinegar

Mix the bleach and water, then add the vinegar. Use a plastic bucket if possible, and stir with a stainless steel utensil or a wooden stick. This is a highly reactive oxidizer, so a reactive metal such as an aluminum pot should NOT be used...."
    "...Your most important survival tool is your brain -think!..."
    Rand of the Return of Planet X

Great stuff, Ladyhawk. I was looking this morning at picking up a few gallon size cases of vinegar to put away.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Default Wow

Great info LadyHawk, I never thought of using combining bleach and vinegar as a surface disinfectant. I was actually asking about disinfecting drinking water with vinegar, probably rainwater capture from a metal or fiberglass roof, water that had the all the visible stuff removed by filtration, but may still have bacteria in the water. As an example; how much vinegar would you need to add to a 55 gallon drum of rainwater to make it biologically safe to drink?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHawk View Post
    This is using both vinegar and bleach - it is called acidified bleach - I see this being used in a SHTF situation - like a pandemic. This is in my SHTF library - along with the recipe - I've included the warnings - like too much acid (vinegar) will off gas and then it's toxic.

This is from the End Time Report website:

Disinfecting Exposed Surfaces

"...Area or surface disinfection can be accomplished by using an acidic bleach solution. For counter tops and exposed surface sterilization purposes, an acidic bleach solution can be applied with a sponge or towel, but be sure to wear latex gloves. If the acidic bleach solution is used in a plastic pressure garden sprayer for outside use, this solution would also sterilize driveways, vehicles, etc. Just remember this caustic solution should be cleaned off any exposed surfaces after 10 or 15 minutes by flushing repeatedly with water, as almost nothing is more prone to cause rusting on any metal surface than this oxidization solution. Soap may be used in the cleaning solution as a surfacent, but DO NOT use any product containing ammonia on or with a bleach solution, as the combination of bleach and ammonia create mustard gas

The following disinfecting solution was discovered by Norman Miner, a microbiologist and owner at MicroChem Laboratory in Fort Worth, Texas, specializing in germicidal chemistry. He and some scientists there were looking for something common that would kill bacillis anthracis and other assorted nasties. According to Miner, this solution kills bacillus subtilis, which is the most resistant of all bacillis spores -- even more so than anthrax. The solution wiped out b. subtilis within one minute. This was the wet spore test. They then ground up the b. subtilis and dried it. The solution killed all the spores within ten minutes. This solution supposedly kills everything from anthrax to Ebola to smallpox to anything else you can think of. The "trick" is the acidified bleach, which changes the normal pH of the HOCl and super-powers it.

The composition is:

1 cup (8 oz) bleach

1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) water

1 1/2 cups 5% vinegar

Mix the bleach and water, then add the vinegar. Use a plastic bucket if possible, and stir with a stainless steel utensil or a wooden stick. This is a highly reactive oxidizer, so a reactive metal such as an aluminum pot should NOT be used...."

Has anyone used vinegar to clean rusty tools, the history channel resto guy says it will clean em. Plan on trying it.

Figured it be easier to throw em in the brass polisher, but checkn

Default Dakins Solution

This doesn't have vinegar in it - BUT it compliments the Acidic Bleach recipe which does. Thought it would be good to have together in one place - as one is for disinfecting surfaces and the other for disinfecting body parts. I'm going to try and find the bleach and baking soda articles to do the same ...

How to prepare Dakins Solution is in a number of articles like WebMD which has it and reviews and also University of Virgina Health Services. I'm using the article from Tess Pennington of Ready Nutrition as her's had the most details..

Tess Pennington of Ready Nutrition

Storing medical supplies, especially antiseptic is a must when planning for an emergency event where hospitals and other types of medical care will be difficult to access. We all know that accidents happen, but when they get infected then they become life threatening.

Those that are preparing for short term and long term disasters more than likely have begun stocking up on certain supplies, such as bleach, water and baking soda mainly due to their versatility. But did you know that when these three items are combined together, they create a powerful antiseptic that can save a life? This antiseptic, otherwise known as Dakin’s Solution (diluted sodium hydrochlorite solution 0.5%) can be used to kill most bacterias and viruses.

This antiseptic was first discovered during World War I, when doctors on the battlefield were trying to find ways to kill germs and prevent bacterial related infections, such as gangrene and putrefaction from setting in. Doctors found that when they used Dakin’s solution before and after surgical procedures and for wound irrigation the patient’s condition improved. It was most beneficial after the wound had been adequately cleaned, and foreign material and dead tissue had been removed.

Uses For Dakin’s Solution

Minor scrapes
    Skin and tissue infections
    Can be used before and after surgical procedures to prevent infection
    Can be used as a mouth wash (should not be swallowed)
    Used as a wound irrigator solution to clean wounds
    Can be applied as a wet-to-moist dressing for wounds

Supplies Needed:

Sodium hydrochlorite solution at 5.25% (Bleach-unscented)
    Baking soda
    Clean tap water
    Clean pan with lid
    Sterile measuring cups and spoons
    Sterile jar with a sterile lid
    Label for jar to label antiseptic,date, time and discard date

To Make Solution:

1. Wash your hands well with soap and water.
    2. Measure out 32 ounces (4 cups) of clean water. Pour into a clean pan and allow water to boil for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
    3. Using a sterile measuring spoon, add 1/2 tsp. of of baking soda to the water.
    4. Measure the bleach according to the strength that is desired:

- For full strength – add 3 oz. bleach or 95 ml.
    - For 1/2 strength – add 3 tbls. + 1/2 tsp. or 48 ml.
    - For 1/4 strength – add 1 tbls. +2 tsp. or 24 ml.
    - For 1/8 strength – add 2 1/2 tsp. or 12-14 ml.

5. Place the solution in a jar and close it tightly with a sterile lid. Cover the closed jar with tin foil to protect it from sunlight.
    6. Throw away any unused portion of the antiseptic within 48 hours of use. This solution can be made up to a month prior to using and stored away.

According to WebMD, “The body’s own wound-healing tissues and fluids can decrease the antibacterial effect of Dakin’s solution. Therefore, this solution is often used only once daily for minor wounds and twice daily for heavily draining or contaminated wounds… Additionally, protect the surrounding healthy skin with a moisture barrier ointment (i.e. petroleum jelly) or skin sealant as needed to prevent irritation.”

This from WebMD Dakin reviews:

Comment:
    I contacted staph infection in a surgical site!! I was not healing it became a horrible wound! Dakins was the only thing that helped!!

Comment:
    very good in wound debridement and rapid granulation tissue formation, i not obsorve any side effect till now (i use dakins solution from 15 years ago) if used in ideal conc.i,m usually use it in diabetic foot infection and bed sores.

Comment:
    Dakins is absolutely amazing. Using on a severe deep tissue infection I have ad 4 over 1 year. Amazed at the immediate and sustained results of wet dry dressing. Almost ready 4 next step. I will always keep some for future use.

FYI

I'm using a glass one gallon jar - sterilized it and put in enough for two batches of baking soda and dry bleach (bagged seperatly) and bagged jar - in emergency will just need to add boiled water.
    Last edited by LadyHawk; 11-30-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    "...Your most important survival tool is your brain -think!..."
    Rand of the Return of Planet X