Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bunker Made From Propane Tank

Default Bunker Made From Propane Tank

105" OD x 45' OAL by PatriotSurvival, on Flickr
    Tank above 105 "x 45'

what do you guys think about
    Filling With water /cutting/Retrofitting and Adapting and burying a Bulk Storage Propane Tank for a Underground shelter.

I Was Thinking About this option and was wondering what you guys thoughts and concerns are
    There is a Propane Business in the nearest town and He has a Huge ScrapYard of Old Propane Tanks Like this 1

I dont know alot about Propane other than They Add A horrid Smell to the fuel for safety reasons
    and The Tanks Seem to be Made from Really thick Metal

I have seen Some Awesome Home made Grills out of The smaller Propane tanks
    thats kinda What Gave me the idea

What do you guys think ?
    Opsec is Important but
    it doesn't worry me online as much as it worries me Offline

Depends on whether or not it would withstand the weight of burial... Otherwise, probably not a bad idea. Those tanks can only be certified for a certain length of time, and have to be retired. I would THINK it's probably strong enough to bury, being that a cylinder needs way less support than a square. It would definitely need to be filled with water, power-washed, and aired out for a while, but really cool idea.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

I think the idea has merit. These tanks are more sturdily built than drainage tubing and they are supposed to be capable of being fully sealed. You'd want to research how to keep it from "heaving" with changes in soil moisture and freezing (if any). You will need to put in a flat floor, but then you can have storage under the floor... just make sure you allow for condensation/seeping etc by which I mean a way of draining any liquid that gets down below so it doesn't ruin what is stored there.

If you get two of them you can use one to store freshwater or fuel and the other to live in. Or you could weld off and seal a portion of the tube itself for that purpose. Put a bulkhead a few feet from one end, you've got a built-in reservoir. The trick there is to do the job right, so that you don't end up with a leak at a very inopportune moment.

Just be careful and don't end up like this guy: http://articles.latimes.com/2001/may/21/local/me-753
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-21-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

Those tanks are only about 1/8" thick. Not all that strong. Whatever you do, you will need to brace the inside. I'd recommend using some 1/4" channel.

And given that they are only about 4-feet tall, you will definately need to cut it in half and add another 4-feet or so in height.

The OP said it's 105" x 45', I'd say it's plenty tall but it does leave much to be desired as far as armor...
    "The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

I had the opportunity to paint one that exact size about three summers ago and I got a good look at the rating plate on the end.

The steel is 3/4" of an inch thick, good luck cutting that.

Ooh and for reference that smell they put in there is actually a liquid and likes to build up over the years as a sludge on the bottom. I can tell you first hand it will make you want to dry heave if you get it on your hands in goo form.

I don't think you'd have a problem burying it; they actually bury lots of those around here with propane in 'em (go figure). I'm not sure you'd ever get the smell completely out, though...??

Quote Originally Posted by midmo View Post
    I don't think you'd have a problem burying it; they actually bury lots of those around here with propane in 'em (go figure). I'm not sure you'd ever get the smell completely out, though...??
    Power wash and a couple of coats of Kilz ought to do it.

I don't know about the one the OP is talking about but my high school had one easily big enough for a man to stand upright in.
    The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

If it is 3/4" thick, than yeah I think the idea has merit. I would consider sand blasting the inside down to bare metal, and then repaint the inside. On the out side you will need to use liquid rubber or some sort of tar or other water proofing system.

As far as ground heave, just augur 6 - 8 4' deep holes and fill with concrete with an anchor loop buried in them. Get a large nylon strap and simple strap that puppy down. Back fill with pea gravel or some other small diameter rock, then dirt.

Joe-NY

Are you thinking of putting this tank in the hole you are digging? If so, how would you get it there? I thought I recall you mentioning early on that access to the site is limited, am I mistaken?

Also, keep in mind that roughly a 6'x6' square is what you are left with in the center of a 104" diameter tube, not to say that you not be able to utilize the other space, just that you need to consider storage against round/curved walls.

Joe-NY