Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my moat / fish pond has filled up (pic heavy)

Looks and sounds very good. One thing I would suggest would be some type of alert system for traffic on the driveway.

looks awesome and I don't know anything about dirt moving or road building, but how do you keep the driveway from eroding into the pond on each side, looks like that a little too close for comfort, and does the lake encircle your home, whats to stop someone from hiking around the neighbors land a 1/2 mile and back tracking on your 6 ???

I would suggest a custom built gate, Most gates avail from tractor supply or similar places are no designed to withstand large vehicles pushing on them. A local well company near me makes a gate out of 4" well casing. A tractor trailer could hit it and would stop. They use a long pole on one end cemented into the ground. From the top of that pole to the end of the gate is a steal cable to support it when it's not resting in it's closed position.

Jason

One thing I would suggest would be some type of alert system for traffic on the driveway
    yes, cameras with motion detection

how do you keep the driveway from eroding into the pond on each side, looks like that a little too close for comfort
    there is a block retaining wall on each side.

and does the lake encircle your home, whats to stop someone from hiking around the neighbors land a 1/2 mile and back tracking on your 6 ???
    no the lake only covers the front of the house. There is a large creek that runs the entire length of the property about 300 yards from the house the only way to get to the house is over two bridges, this being the second and final bridge.

whats to stop someone from hiking around the neighbors land a 1/2 mile and back tracking on your 6
    nothing, this moat is just to prevent a vehicle from having unfettered access to the house.

Most gates avail from tractor supply or similar places are no designed to withstand large vehicles pushing on them. A local well company near me makes a gate out of 4" well casing.
    now that's an interesting idea

you could also do a concrete section over the bridge and put holes in the concrete for 4" oil field pipe to set in( this would be similar to what the military does on bases to stop vehicals)

Very nice! You've done well explo!
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Wow that is awesome!

really great... Hoping you will post more pics, maybe a little info on how you built it also. Amazing job

Great Job Explo! You have done well. I was following the dig back in the summer and I'm glad to see the results.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

looks awesome! have you thought about planting trees along the road to mask the view of your house?