Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquaponics system need people to critique my system

looking good!
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Thanks, got about 8 bass, 1 decent size perch and a bunch of little perch, lots of minnows, and grass shrimp (all from my pond). No fish have died yet, much to my surprise. Going to have to wait till tax returns come in to get the cinder blocks done. That gives me plenty time to level the inside of the green house.

Nice, i admit that my knowledge on aquaponics is limited, (i do know the general idea, due to wolfracer's thread, but i wouldn't know how to execute) that looks pretty cool. Im hoping i can learn about this a little more
    Faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead - james 2:17

Thanks, I am learning as I go myself. Best way to learn is to jump in. It can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it. My design keeps changing. In fact today it got wider by about 3 feet. More digging to do now. I think my system will measure 40 feet long by 17 feet wide now. It started out 30 feet by 12 feet, then went to 40 feet by 14 feet.

hey how does the flood and drain method work as compared to other methods. I was rereading some of the earlier posts.
    Faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead - james 2:17

From what I hear it is the best method for most plants. Some seem to do better with constant drain, but most rather flood and drain. These siphons are Afanan (spelling) siphons. Similar to bell siphons, but they add a 1 inch to 2 inch adapter at the top. From what I read they are the best so far. Both of mine are working great.

I would recommend that you cover system with something to avoid exposure to sunlight, otherwise you are going to have a problem with algae growth. Algae is your worst enemy as it tends to plug stuff up.
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfracer View Post
    I would recommend that you cover system with something to avoid exposure to sunlight, otherwise you are going to have a problem with algae growth. Algae is your worst enemy as it tends to plug stuff up.
    Thanks that is on my to do list. Also thinking of throwing a algea eater in there. We had one that was huge, we through it in the pond. No telling how big that thing is now.

Wow, cleaning rocks sucks. I don't know how else to say it. If someone knows a better way to wash rocks, I am all ears. I tried to search with not much luck.

Anyways got some slag rock for the bottom, and river rocks for the top half. Got one bed almost ready to plant, and will do my best to get both of them ready to plant tomorrow. Wife bought some seeds to plant in them.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Great thread, thanks for sharing.

Joe-NY