Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquaponics system need people to critique my system

I've raised tilapia in huge tanks (not in ground) and I can confirm that they are pretty sensitive to temp drops. I would think that catfish would be much more hardy, they are found in the wild here and it gets friggin' cold in the winter. Also, tilapia are dirty, so you'd need a hell of a filter system. Tilapia would probably do well inside a greenhouse type of enclosure, so those of you with that setup you might be ok for fish tanks. I think for helo's plan, the cats are a better choice. Plus, they are damn tasty when cooked right!

The tilapia we raised were done in ag class, and so we had commercial grade equipment. We used 3 big blue "ponds" that were about 12ft. diameter and 5 feet deep. We had mesh on top to stop fish from jumping out. Tilapia were moved from tank to tank at different points in their life cycle to mitigate predation of young/small fish. In the center of the tanks was a huge plastic filter "tower", with the slotted plastic balls inside it that promote good bacteria growth. There was also some kind of filter media in there, I forget what it was (it was some years ago). Dirty water was pumped in at the top, and filtered down through the tower. It exited (now clean) at the bottom and dumped out into the 3 tanks via some 3" PVC pipes with 90* downturns on the end. The system was heated, but I don't remember what type of heaters we used.
    Last edited by wyomegaman; 11-29-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks wyomegaman.

Got more done today. Reached my depth for the greenhouse part, but still need to dig another 4 feet down for the fish tank, at least this one does not have to be very big. Wish I had a backhoe attachment.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but in case someone is here is an update.

Started digging the fish tank, this is going to be a PITA. The tractor is very light in the back with a load of dirt, and moving around in this tight spot is hard. But I did get past 2 feet today. Here are a couple pics.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.

My 12 year old and our great dane.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:21 PM.

awesome job!! how many hours and was it with anything other than a tractor?

Thanks, been working on it a little each day for about 2 weeks. I think the hour meter on my tractor went up 12 hours. And it was all done with just this tractor.

Well thought I would post a update. Got a lot done since my last post.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Threw a few fish in so that misquito's would not hatch.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Got the tank buried, and everything leveled off.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Got 2 temporary grow beds ready for rocks, picking up some river rocks tomorrow. Should be able to plant my temp grow beds tomorrow or Tuesday. This is only to keep my water clean (can't drain tank or it may pop out of the ground) until I get my 700 cinder blocks in place and can start on the permanent grow beds.

Last edited by helomech; 07-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.