Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Aquaponics system need people to critique my system

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    I am in NY, so I have the same question as you as far as cold climates go. My reaserch so far as led me to this company:

http://portablefarms.com/2012/pfas-cold-climates/

In short, it's all about keeping the indoor temperature between a specific range, which in turn means an insulated greenhouse, perhaps even one that is semi in -the-ground. Not cheap. Plus, you will need to leverage grow lights.

My 'duh' question is: What do you feed the fish? Do you grow the fish food as part of the grow bed?

Joe-NY
    I believe its the fish crap that feeds the plants. So it doubles as a food source. Fish for food and plants from the fish droppings.
    Ive got your lil buddy right here! Patiently waiting for my cheese to finish sliding off my cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    I am in NY, so I have the same question as you as far as cold climates go. My reaserch so far as led me to this company:

http://portablefarms.com/2012/pfas-cold-climates/

In short, it's all about keeping the indoor temperature between a specific range, which in turn means an insulated greenhouse, perhaps even one that is semi in -the-ground. Not cheap. Plus, you will need to leverage grow lights.

My 'duh' question is: What do you feed the fish? Do you grow the fish food as part of the grow bed?

Joe-NY
    Joe,

One can setup a small "bin" or "tank" that grows duck weed and that can be used to feed the fish. Also dog food can be used in a pinch, but fish were obviously never designed to eat dog food. Some of the dead or extra plant items like lettuce can be used to feed them as well. Hope that helped.

Tilapia were originally farmed to eat all of the crap from stripped bass farming. so yes tilapia will eat just about everything. this leads me to my next thought. maybe a tank or two with striped bass which has been a widely cultivated species. and just wondering for the sake of info have you considered talking to a few of the local restaurants to see if they would be interested in purchasing some of your adult fish? this would help with some of the overage of fish and also help supplement some of the expenditure you are having to cover.